Crayfish molting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I caught 2 baby crayfish from my lake and put them in my little shrimp tank. So far no problems coexisting after 2 days. I got home from work and about flipped out when I saw a carcass in the tank. Then realized both were still alive and that my crayfish molted.

Any way.. Question: should I remove the shell? I know shrimp will eat their shell for nutrients but does the same for work for crayfish?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I caught 2 baby crayfish from my lake and put them in my little shrimp tank. So far no problems coexisting after 2 days. I got home from work and about flipped out when I saw a carcass in the tank. Then realized both were still alive and that my crayfish molted.

Any way.. Question: should I remove the shell? I know shrimp will eat their shell for nutrients but does the same for work for crayfish?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

All depends on the crayfish. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. That's why u see molts laying around under stones in lakes. Anyway keep an eye out on the shrimp and crayfish. The crayfish might try to snatch one of them

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

From what I have read wild crayfish are herbivores if kept well fed. There is live plants in the tank they can feed on plus food. Thnks I'll keep an eye on the shell. If it's not gone tomorrow I'll remove it

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

From what I have read wild crayfish are herbivores if kept well fed. There is live plants in the tank they can feed on plus food. Thnks I'll keep an eye on the shell. If it's not gone tomorrow I'll remove it

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Np. Are you talking about the red crayfish you pull out from under the rocks in lakes

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428797163.432555.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428797179.233585.jpg

Only like an inch each. They are fun to watch especially the second photo. He swings himself on the hornwort stems.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Sounds pretty cool! We get browns ones in our lake, record for me that I've caught out of the shallows with my hands is 6", but the brown one is probably a mud crayfish, which are an invasive species. What lake did you catch it out of? I live near Lake Norman, and now in the spring we are getting tons of little one inchers as well. Good luck with them.

Nils

Sounds pretty cool! We get browns ones in our lake, record for me that I've caught out of the shallows with my hands is 6", but the brown one is probably a mud crayfish, which are an invasive species. What lake did you catch it out of? I live near Lake Norman, and now in the spring we are getting tons of little one inchers as well. Good luck with them.

Nils

My lake is an offshoot of the Tennessee river.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

could you get beter pics? i believe they are actually omnavores, some more vegitarian, some more carnivorus

Back
Top Bottom