Crazy Corys Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 55g with 6 cories, 5 ghost shrimp, a rainbow shark, pleco, 2 drawf Gouramis, yoyo loach, 2 skunk loaches and 10 platys. I have three filters on it. My ammonia is always 0. I do a pwc of 35% or so once every 9-10 days. Everything goes great. That website would say I'm way overstocked. My point is it's your tank. You know how and why to keep your levels correct. As long as they stay fine, do what you want.

Funny pic, and sad news. First I think this pic is great, an odd shot if a cory hanging out in an odd place. Second I'm extremely disappointed that one of my smaller albino cories I add, I found missing an eye ball last night and in rough shape, today I found he succumbed to his injury, very sad. :(

Attachments

• image-3397130318.jpg
    image-3397130318.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 94
Sad day.... all 3 of mine have velvet..... so I hope they make it they are some of.my favorite in my tank :(

Aw, well this thread is perfect!

I just picked up a little albino corydora that looked so lonely in the tank to put in with my 2 other albinos. I had a julii, but he wasn't very friendly with the others, and I lost him to an ich break out in my tank :/ everything has been cleaned out, new filter, everyone else is doing great.

When I put the little one in there, he was a little shy at first but then one of the bigger ones saw him and got SOO excited! They remind me of little dogs in their behavior! Bumping each other with their face, snuggling right next to them, wiggling their fins. I thought maybe the wiggly fins was a mating behavior? But I looked up breeding behavior, and it doesn't look like the same thing... not sure if more experienced people could give me some insight with that?

Mine do the same thing. They get excited to see each other. Some do keep to themselves, everyone has their own little personality

I'm trying to figure out if they are any males in the group. You think they know who's who? I have one potential female (very big around the belly), and then the other one.. not sure if it's a female or a male. Do females court other females at all? The only thing I can think of is that the newest one is male, and that's why they freaked out so much when they saw each other, but i have NO clue... Their fins all look pretty "female" so hard to tell :/

Aw, well this thread is perfect!

I just picked up a little albino corydora that looked so lonely in the tank to put in with my 2 other albinos. I had a julii, but he wasn't very friendly with the others, and I lost him to an ich break out in my tank :/ everything has been cleaned out, new filter, everyone else is doing great.

When I put the little one in there, he was a little shy at first but then one of the bigger ones saw him and got SOO excited! They remind me of little dogs in their behavior! Bumping each other with their face, snuggling right next to them, wiggling their fins. I thought maybe the wiggly fins was a mating behavior? But I looked up breeding behavior, and it doesn't look like the same thing... not sure if more experienced people could give me some insight with that?

That's why I call my albinos puppies!

Mine don't get hyped up.....but they refuse to get out of the way, which is problematic in itself haha. Like they're saying nope just go around me buster

Mine actually stay clear.. its seems like they watch me n are telling my gourami shes gonna get you , you better back up.. lol does any of yalls other fosh hang around with the cories every fish we add tobour tank thinks they are cories even our new angels.. its funny to see them n my gourami sifting through the sand with my cories and otos.. even my otos are acting like cories they used to only stay on plants or glass now they are all over...

Mine actually stay clear.. its seems like they watch me n are telling my gourami shes gonna get you , you better back up.. lol does any of yalls other fosh hang around with the cories every fish we add tobour tank thinks they are cories even our new angels.. its funny to see them n my gourami sifting through the sand with my cories and otos.. even my otos are acting like cories they used to only stay on plants or glass now they are all over...

Haha, yeah my rummynose tetras think the are part of the Cory gang sometimes!! Very funny, the cory's move so fast there are some colisions with confused looking tetra!!

Have just introduced a couple of peppered Cory to my tank, it has sterbai's and they are all swimming together as I'd hoped!! It's like they are doing a mexican wave type thing...the one at the back moves up and takes the front position and continues like that, very beautiful to watch...
I am now sure I want a couple of albino's (hope they join in with the gang) saw them in lfs today but they were missing berbells?? Would they grow back in better conditions do you think?? Thanks

Have just introduced a couple of peppered Cory to my tank, it has sterbai's and they are all swimming together as I'd hoped!! It's like they are doing a mexican wave type thing...the one at the back moves up and takes the front position and continues like that, very beautiful to watch...
I am now sure I want a couple of albino's (hope they join in with the gang) saw them in lfs today but they were missing berbells?? Would they grow back in better conditions do you think?? Thanks

Sometimes they can grow back barbels. It just depends how much they've lost and many will recover. But missing Barbels may be a sign of poor health. They tend to lose them from infection from dirty conditions. They may have come in that way ?

I would quarantine them before adding them.

Anybody else's Cory cats get super hyped up and on a major espresso rush when they gravel vac? It drives me nuts. Always straight at my vac.

LOL All of my fish get "excited" with the siphon. They can see pieces of food and shell in the tube and they try to get at it!
I accidentally sucked up one of my corydoras once, but they swam out pretty fast - It scared me almost to death aha!

I'm pretty happy today, though... I was finally able to see if my cory's are male or female. Tip I learned; they need to be doing something where their fins can be splayed or open all the way, like eating. The one that I thought was female (because of being heavily gravid), was correct. But now it seems as I have 3 males! I read that more males to females is best for fertility, would anyone say 3 males to 1 female is too many? I'm afraid of overloading the tank if I get anymore!

Also, I want to try eventually switching from gravel to sand... anyone know if this can this be done with the fish in it? And can I use play sand? One of the corys I've recently bought looks to have either underdeveloped or damaged barbels... although the other ones haven't had any issues with the gravel, I'm still worried about it. Any advice?

Thanks! Love these little guys!

Good News / Bad News

The bad: due to a bad set of circumstances and an opportunity, (strange, I know), today I am rehoming all of my beloved Cories. That includes my five 5-year olds, several juveniles, and some babies.

The Good, part 1: they are going to a good, experienced home in a planted 90 gallon tank.

The good, part 2: I am expecting a shipment of 10 Pygmy Cories this week. I have always wanted some and couldn't locate any locally. This is my first online purchase of fish. The timing of this purchase turned out to be unfortunate, due to issues with my 20…but do-able.

The good, part 3: I will have albino cories again in the near future. They are my favorites.

First I have to build a stand for my 36, break it down, move it, change the substrate, and set it up again…praying for only a slight mini-cycle. Then I have to re-setup the 20 gallon on the stand the 36 had been on, cycle IT and then I could get albino cories again.

Attachments

• image-4049031348.jpg
    image-4049031348.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 95
Also, I want to try eventually switching from gravel to sand... anyone know if this can this be done with the fish in it? And can I use play sand? One of the corys I've recently bought looks to have either underdeveloped or damaged barbels... although the other ones haven't had any issues with the gravel, I'm still worried about it. Any advice?

Thanks! Love these little guys!

It can be done and you can find a how to video on youtube

Back
Top Bottom