Crazy Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roxxma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a gourami that is sick. He was flipping out yesterday, darting around the tank to take long rests on his side on the bottom and then darting around again. He did this a few weeks ago as I was going to bed and I thought it was the end, but when I got up the next day, he was fine. He started it again last night and has been lying on the bottom on his side all day today panting.. I have been treating the water with primafix and melafix (due to a fungus that another fish picked up), and none of the other fish in the tank seem sick (10g, five rasboras and a black molly). I have some Maracin II, but am not sure if it would be the right thing.. Any advice as to what he may have and any ideas on what to do?

How long has your tank been set up and what are your water parameters? What size tank do you have? In most cases such as this, water conditions are the first suspect. You can add some aquarium salt as that will help ease the symptoms. Depending on how long your tank has been set up and what your parameters are, I'd do a pwc for starters then add some aquarium salt.

Yeah, the tank is a year old, the fish about 8 months, 10 gallons.. I did a pwc the other day and took the carbon from the filter cause I was treating the tank. The quailty is okay, save for a somewhat low pH (6.5) and KH (about 40ppm), but that is nothing new, so I'm not too sure what the issue is.

Your ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm? I'd add the aquarium salt and watch and see how he does after a while. Good luck.

Nitrites are 0, ammonia is not, it's about 1.0 PPM, but I have been treating it with ammo lock regularly since the spike. I just added 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt. I'll see what that does and to a pwc tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom