crazy sump canister question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanden

Aquarium Advice Freak
had this crazy idea so try and picture this.

sump is fed from over flow canister intake at other side of sump sucking water. water then runs through canister back to the tank.

would it work? I have an addiction to over filtering....

had this crazy idea so try and picture this.

sump is fed from over flow canister intake at other side of sump sucking water. water then runs through canister back to the tank.

would it work? I have an addiction to over filtering....

Yes it would work but why not use the sump as is and then use the canister as is. More filtration that way versus a DIY project

well I don't want to run extra plumbing nor another pump

I had the same idea a year or two ago and then someone here explained canister filters to me and why it would not work it went something like this, canister filters can basicly be described as a closed loop system where the gravity working on the downward flow of the intake equals and cancels out the resistance of the gravity on the return, hence why canisters are able to use such small pumps and be so effective, this however is only the case as long as the system stays closed with the lid tightly sealed, the pump in a canister does not have the power to operate an open loop system like a sump if you tried to use in that way the intake side would almost immediately outpace the pump in the canister and quickly make a mess, as stated above it would be best to run them separately on the same system. I hope I was able to explain this to you as well as it was explained to me and helps you in your quest for maximum filtration

You would end up overworking the motor in the canister in a setup like this. If you want a functional sump your best bet is to run a water pump in it. All the extra plumbing you will have is a hose going from the water pump to the dt.

On the note of overfiltering, there's not really any benefit at all to having an exceedingly large amount of bio media. There is only soo much bacteria that a tank can support and no matter how much media you add to the tank there won't be an increase in that amount.

If you really wanted to go overkill with filtration you should look into adding an algae scrubber.

Back
Top Bottom