Crazycajuns new build 150 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ibrahim said:
lol what I was talking about was 3D coral backgrounds this is the website CL2CqOvW6qkCFY5x5QodMh3caw

Ohh ok. No I plan on moving to reef I'n time. So would like to do it for real. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone use the Durso standpipes In their built In overflow boxes? I am about to use this and was thinking about converting the over flow boxes to small refugiums. Did any of you do something like this? Can anyone give any ideas on if this is a good idea?

Crazycajun said:
Does anyone use the Durso standpipes In their built In overflow boxes? I am about to use this and was thinking about converting the over flow boxes to small refugiums. Did any of you do something like this? Can anyone give any ideas on if this is a good idea?

Its a great idea. My buddy has a bunch of mangroves sitting in his looks good too.

Just Added purple Live rock. Do I need to get my calcium to 400? As of right now I just have my salt water running.

38104-albums1880-picture12972.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
I know my instant ocean should have the calcium but if I want to get this coraline algae to spread would I need to use an additive or should i be fine with instant ocean salt mix and water changes? This is a FOWLR setup so nothing but the rock should use the Calcium. Or Am i correct with this?

Only thing I'd say to do differently is not to use the bio-balls. They can become nitrate factories. I'd put some LR in there instead.

Whats your calcium level at?
I wouldn't start raising the calcium as your salt should have all the correct levels.

Mine's at 440 and I don't use and calcium additives (I have a bottle of purple up I've never used - but my coraline algae goes crazy)

Yea. I haven't had any Coraline growth in months but I've been using purple up for a month and I already got some growth.

hey...all i can say, luv your rock scaping...great scaping....
like other reefers had said, i will remove the bio-balls and replace with macroalgae to control my nutrient level...

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 400

Added some ammonium chloride to my tank should be about 1ppm or 2ppm will test when I get home.

Added what should of been 2 ppm of ammonia chloride solution to my tank. Problem is a day later I am not reading any ammonia, no nitrite, and no nitrate. This using salifert test kits. Going out to buy another brand just to be sure.

Definitley!
Keep dosing the ammonia though - you'll need to keep doing this until your cycle is complete and you have fish (another ammonia source). The good bacteria you are building by doing the cycle needs a constant source of ammonia or it dies off and you start cycling again!

When you see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and you start seeing nitrates, your cycle is done and is ready for fish!

Thanks everyone. Tank is still comming along here are some updated pictures. Will take better pictures later.

White light
38104-albums1880-picture13122.jpg

Blue Light hard to tell because I did not have my tripod.
38104-albums1880-picture13123.jpg

Back
Top Bottom