Crazyhermitcrab's Complete Guide to Livebearer's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^agreed. My lfs is a tiny one with their fish section being the smallest. I rarely trade in more than four at a time and only males for 50 cents each. On craigslist I once traded 75 guppies for 20 cherry shrimp, awesome deal considering the only place around here that has them charges 4 bucks a pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, I'm excited to have enough where I can use them for my gain and spread my fish to others

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's one thing to let nature take its course in a tank and not save every fry, but building a tank just to let it pretty much sit and rot/starve is cruel. Or just killing them outright with the icy med bowl, at least freeze them as feeders for someone...

If you're not prepared to deal with fry in my opinion you shouldn't be breeding fish.

No not like let it starve. Like instead of doing a water change every week do it every other.an d feed them less. They would eat their fry. I havn't tried it. I just put my fry in my pond.

It's one thing to let nature take its course in a tank and not save every fry, but building a tank just to let it pretty much sit and rot/starve is cruel. Or just killing them outright with the icy med bowl, at least freeze them as feeders for someone...

If you're not prepared to deal with fry in my opinion you shouldn't be breeding fish.

Freezing live fish is cruel.

I meant freezing than after they are dead. And freezing them alive is pretty much what your where explaining how to do, just with a bunch of meds thrown in. Meds can burn too.

Toad, all those "cruel" things, are ways to deal with fry, and they are there to get rid of the genetically weak fish. I mean do you really want a fish that can barely swim, because of a genetic deformation in your tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I meant freezing than after they are dead. And freezing them alive is pretty much what your where explaining how to do, just with a bunch of meds thrown in. Meds can burn too.

No my idea. Isn't really my ideal it's how you put a fish too sleep when they are sick. You don't need the meds. But it's a good way to "double check" it's different. Freezing a fish is cruel. That's a fairly long painful death. Dropping a fish in freezing water shocks it not freezes it. It's very different. I have done it to a betta who was in great pain. It's instant, there is no struggle,

Toad, all those "cruel" things, are ways to deal with fry, and they are there to get rid of the genetically weak fish. I mean do you really want a fish that can barely swim, because of a genetic deformation in your tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1

When your fish have fry you will learn. It can get out of hand VERY quickly.

Also if you give them clove oil first it's like anthesia and it they will feel less.

Here this is from a Website
"3. Eugenol [Clove oil]:
Eugenol, the active ingredient in clove oil, is another sedative that when used in high doses is safe for fish euthanization. It is not approved by the American Veterinary Medical Association but is considered safe and humane by most aquarists. It can be purchased at your local pharmacy or in most health food stores. Being an oil, it does not dissolve in water. Once the oil is added to the water it must be shaken vigorously and the fish should be added immediately before the oil has the chance to separate. Doses greater than .25 ml per liter of water is adequate.
4. Decapitation:
While this can be the most difficult for the fish owner, it is considered humane and is the quickest euthanization method. Using a very sharp knife, detach the head from the spinal cord by cutting directly behind the gills. To avoid stress and discomfort associated with removal from the water, utilizing one of the above mentioned methods for anesthetization may be desirable"

This sounds painful
"This is a topic with a lot of contention… And im 100% sure im going to offend someone from this suggestion, and for that I am sorry to you. But IMHO I feel this suggestion is best…. It is NOT for the faint of heart, some would say its cruel, but from the perspective of the fish (isn’t that the creature we are concerned with, NOT the people who live on?) it is FAST, and 100% dead every time, no 1/2 kills, no suffering, and no 15 minutes of being frozen alive, drugged etc…
If you sole concern is having the fish not suffer then this is what I would do: put the fish in a glass, get a pair of boots with little to no tread. Go outside onto the concrete, pour the fish on the concrete and immediately stomp it.
The CNS (central nervous system) is destroyed immediately, if the neurons are spread out over your shoe then they can’t talk to one another, thus the fish ceases to be…
From the perspective of the fish, it was sitting in a cup looking at the world… then it was being poured, and while its gills are still wet suddenly it is no more…
NOW from the perspective of most people watching this, it may not be considered humane; but that IMO is because of the imagery involved, remember how the fish looks after the fact has no bearing on what the fish feels. It is simply the queasiness of the passerby, if you don’t see gore then it must be a good death….. Well if it was I who was being “euthanasied” I would much rather have it all over in a fraction of a second then a 25 minute routine of being drugged to death etc… Then again most people don’t like the idea of watching someone get shot in the head with a shotgun…. It looks yucky and make people vomit… but think of what the brain thinks while being drugged, frozen, electrocuted, etc…
IMO if you are going to do it, do it fast and with a lot of force…."

I'm not against feeding fish to other fish, or the various ways to cull fish, like I said, I was just against some of ways you described dealing with it. I'm well aware of clove oil which is one I've heard good things about. I've taken fish out and hit them with a hammer to end their suffering when they've been just alive and just won't die.

Back
Top Bottom