Creating a first reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Armoredspider

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am creating my first saltwater tank and need a little help picking out fish and corals that might go well in a 29 gallon biocube. I am also hoping to get a couple anenomies. Any suggestions for colorful sea life? I have hard water and a very acidic ph. I'll test my water again soon to get exact ph and will post it later.

4-5 nano fish max in a biocube IMO. Also you can only have an anemone* once your tank is 8 months old

Ok thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't want to overstock the tank. So what would I want for a cleaning crew? Also, I would really have to wait 8 months to add an anemone? In my freshwater tank after two week I could add pretty much anything to it.

Armoredspider said:
Ok thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't want to overstock the tank. So what would I want for a cleaning crew? Also, I would really have to wait 8 months to add an anemone? In my freshwater tank after two week I could add pretty much anything to it.

With SW a lot of the life we house eat microscopic organisms in our tank which is why they reccomend waiting atleast 6 months for these types of creatures and you'll also be going through different blooms for the first year which you don't wanna put your anemone through especially since a dead one can nuke a whole tank

As for fish should I maybe start with a fire fish after the cycle? Are they easy to care for? For the cleanup crew I was thinking of having a shrimp, some hermit crabs, some snails, and adding a pincushion urchin after the tank is well established. Would that be overstocking? Are any of these hard to care for so I should take them out of my plans?

Firefish are a good choice. There pretty hardy and will do well in a 29 gallon. Your clean up crew sounds fine to me.

If you want your bio cycle started Put in some blue/green chromis maybe 2-3 the are good and hardy and look great. Also if you want corals go for zoos as a start up they are nice and hardy as well and look great after a couple of months of growing!

Also are you getting live rock? Or dried?

Thanks for the suggestions! I am planning on getting some live rock from my lfs to start the cycle and adding fish later. Are blue chromis reef safe? I have always wanted a blue fish!

Yes they are they are a very nice schooling fish, that change from blue to green all time very interesting and not expensive!

They can become aggressive and my dominant male nipped at my polyps. A lot of members on here have had the same experience with them so imo don't get any chromis or damsels

Being such a small tank I wouldn't really go for any school which would take up your whole Bioload. How about a blue neon cleaner goby, scissortail dartfish, chalk bass, or tribal blenny. All have different but nice shades of blues

Saltwater reef said:
Oh and mcr-I got my acans the other day and are in love with them!

Nice where can I see the pics and where did you get them from?

I'll post on here, and I got a few from cherry corals and some friends hooked me up lol

Are chromis easy to get out? I could always have them in my tank for a while and when I'm ready to put in some polyps I could give them back to the fish store.

Armoredspider said:
Are chromis easy to get out? I could always have them in my tank for a while and when I'm ready to put in some polyps I could give them back to the fish store.

Not if your scaping has hides lol. Took me 2 weeks to get all 5 out of my 46 gallon without moving rock work

Also I guess if chromis don't work you could go for gobies, even though they are bottom dwellers they are nice looking and help too

Very nice I'm bout to throw a video up of my tank for the first time in a minute so keep an eye out for it and check out my acans ;)

Back
Top Bottom