Creating a monster bio filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duydawg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I currently have my 10 gallon tank cycling, and its showing nitrates =) took about 2-3 weeks, so i'm glad things are comming together. I have a question in regards to making a SUPER strong bio filter.

In theory,
After my tank has fully cycled, ( ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate, below 20)
If I keep redosing ammonia to 4 and DO NOT ADD FISH, will it continue to feed the benefitial bacteria? If it can convert 4 to 0 within 24 hours, can I add the ammonia to 5 and slowly work my way up? Would the benefitial bacteria be able to convert it?

In addition,
If I fully cycle my tank, and add a lot of plants, will that also boost my biofilter?

That won't work once you start to go above 4ppm you can begin to slow down the process, even stall it.

If my cycle is COMPLETE

will adding more than 4 ppm create more nitrite producing bacteria?

Yes it will die off if not being fed but over feeding it (high ammonia) can have a reverse effect (5ppm+)

I think I see what you're getting at here. You want to use extra ammonia to make more bacteria available.
As stated above, no. Ammonia levels too high will work against you. If you want a massive bio filter, I suggest plumbing in a sump and pumping the water through chambers containing high surface area media such as gravel, bioballs, sponges, etc. In addition, the increased water volume will help increase the capacity to handle waste.
But it all boils down to "why?" Are you hoping to overstock? Reduce maintenance? What's the endgame here?

Back
Top Bottom