Crested gecko setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I bought everything I need for my crested gecko that I will be getting tomorrow. I got a 12 x 12 x 18 exo Tera with clay hydro balls on the bottom, then I did not have any screen so I put a layer of Saran Wrap over it that I poked a whole bunch of holes in it with a toothpick, will that work? Over that I put a layer of substrate from petsmart. Then I have driftwood, other pieces of wood and some fake plants. Any feedback would be nice :) I also got a heater for it and idk if I need it. I live near Chicago so winters get kind of cold. Will I need it? Here's the tank...

Attachments

• image-1161559217.jpg
    image-1161559217.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 19
Looks like a good setup. So the plastic wrap is on the sides? If so, I don't think your gecko will be able to climb very will on it. Also, the air exchange won't be very good.

Tetra1990 said:
Looks like a good setup. So the plastic wrap is on the sides? If so, I don't think your gecko will be able to climb very will on it. Also, the air exchange won't be very good.

The wrap is in between the hydro balls and the stuff from petsmart.

Attachments

• image-4128319398.jpg
    image-4128319398.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 14
I got him :) he's awesomeeeeee and I need name suggestions. The people at petsmart said I need a basking light, is that true? Here he is :)

Attachments

• image-2884363478.jpg
    image-2884363478.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 17
  • image-3547351398.jpg
    image-3547351398.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image-4080602442.jpg
    image-4080602442.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image-2601468794.jpg
    image-2601468794.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 11
  • image-3910411556.jpg
    image-3910411556.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image-2410820596.jpg
    image-2410820596.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 8
It needs a heat lamp because it likes warmer temperatures during the day. I am not sure if they sell the right kind of bulbs at petsmart.

I do not know the answer to this off the top of my head, but you have to look up to see if he needs heat or a daylight spectrum bulb. They are not the same as a heat bulb. Either way, yes, any chain store should stock what you need.

Also, I would get some mesh or something to use instead of the Saran wrap. Even with holes in it, the saran wrap does not allow good gas/moisture exchange. Even though the store did not have screen, you can just get screen from a hardware store (probably for less anyways) or else use a mesh fabric.

Last edited:
absolutangel04 said:
I do not know the answer to this off the top of my head, but you have to look up to see if he needs heat or a daylight spectrum bulb. They are not the same as a heat bulb. Either way, yes, any chain store should stock what you need.

Hello, this is very important to find out. If he needs a daylight spectrum bulb then the uva /uvb rays are very important in things Iike digestion and absorbtion of certain minerals

I see. I have a lava lamp. What if I take the top off and just use that light? And I've never seen anything say that they need a light.

I looked it up and it says they do not need the lights. Should I still keep my heater? I know it can get pretty cold during winter which is comin quite fast

Yes. Still keep your heater. Again, I do not know the exact numbers off the top of my head, but when dealing with tropical animals, you need to make extra sure you are meeting their heat requirements so they can digest properly.

Hmm I see. I have a zoo med small heater, how warm will it keep the tank? Should I have it on at night? Also can I put it behind the tank? Even though there's an inch thick styrofoam wall background? Thanks for all of the help :)

Before I got serious about keeping fish, I kept leopard geckos. I had the under tank heaters and would turn them off at night. Im in Nebraska and our winters got very cold too. But most reptiles will slow way down in the colder months. I still kept the heat pads on during the winter.

So would you suggest keeping the heater on all might in the winter then maybe not on during summer?

The summers are tricky. When it would hit +100 I would keep the heat pad off during the day and the tank temp would still be around 80. During the winter, keep the normal heater on/off routine.

Back
Top Bottom