Crystal Red Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
For those of you who frequent That Fish place..they have them in stock! Previously I've only ever seen RCS and amano shrimp in store, but went in today and they had a tank with some young CRS in it. Juveniles, but priced at just $3.99 per shrimp. I checked online and they are not listed..but maybe soon?

Their online database is not always up to date. I email them a few times already just to make sure that a particular fish is there or not.

3.99 is a great price though!

Yes, I've done that for plants already. They are usually pretty great with getting back to me in a timely manner. I'm assuming since these are a new item, they might not be available online immediately. Thought I'd mention seeing them though, since I know there are quite a few in this forum who live driving distance from the store!

Pic!

img_1512006_0_e70e4f1b56533be8a8cb139bb1e39ba7.jpg

what are those? A/S grade? I've purchased CRS a few times but it's always been through other hobbyists.

They were ungraded at the store, but it really wasn't important to me...This is the first I've seen them locally so I snatched some up. I'm not an expert on CRS grading but I'd have to agree with the A/S grade. They all have distinct bands of red.

That one in the pic looks good, definitely an A if not an S. I didn't realize you were local to TFP, I was thinking it was an online buy.

As far as grading goes, I'm pretty bad at it also but the basic gist that I get is with RCS, more white the better and blotchy is a bad thing.

That one in the pic looks good, definitely an A if not an S. I didn't realize you were local to TFP, I was thinking it was an online buy.

As far as grading goes, I'm pretty bad at it also but the basic gist that I get is with RCS, more white the better and blotchy is a bad thing.

Hard to get a clear pic of the buggers when they hide in my chainsword, but definitely not blotchy.

Have you ever had them breed for you?

I have had mine for approximately a year and I saw them berried often, but never saw any fry. I keep them alongside RCS that breed prolifically.

A few months back I started messing with the water chemistry a little, and I think it's working. I see 2 or 3 little shrimplets every now and again, so something is happening.

My water is really soft, mid 7's ph but around 1 gh. I got a TDS meter just to make sure but it's <100 so I'm ok in that department. My solution was at water change time I add a pinch of dolomite powder (CaMg)(Co3)2 to help the GH and I periodically add alder cones to make the water a little more acidic. Although it stains the water a bit it seems to have helped, it's a long process though since it takes a month or so gestation + whatever time it takes them to molt and actually get fertilized, plus I only have maybe 15 shrimp so the progress is slow coming.

Back
Top Bottom