Curing dried rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry i fotgot about the lights. I set my lights to a regular schedule from the start. I did 10 hours a day and put them on a timer so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so If I were to put Reef Saver dry rock from BRS directly into my tank with my cured live rock would the live rock seed the dry rock and turn it live? And would my clownfish and emerald crab be alright through the process?

Ok so If I were to put Reef Saver dry rock from BRS directly into my tank with my cured live rock would the live rock seed the dry rock and turn it live? And would my clownfish and emerald crab be alright through the process?

Yes the live rock will seed the dry rock. It may take a couple of months for the rock to completely seed. The clown and the crab most likely will not survive the cycling process. I would put them in a already established tank if you can.

Yes the live rock will seed the dry rock. It may take a couple of months for the rock to completely seed. The clown and the crab most likely will not survive the cycling process. I would put them in a already established tank if you can.

The tank is already established. I was wondering if the dry rock would mess or restart that? I don't think so but just want to be sure.

The tank is already established. I was wondering if the dry rock would mess or restart that? I don't think so but just want to be sure.

What all do you have in the tank? Do you have live sand and any rock in the there now?

Yep a 1" live sand bed and 10lbs of live rock (which is why I ordered the dry reef saver rock) I also have a Clarkii clown and an emerald crab.

It shouldn't, but it may. It all depends on what's in that rock. Personally, I would cycle the rock in a separate container, then add it afterwards.

It shouldn't, but it may. It all depends on what's in that rock. Personally, I would cycle the rock in a separate container, then add it afterwards.

Ok that's what I was wondering - thanks. I wouldn't imagine there would be anything on the rock since it's the Reef Saver Rock from BRS but I'll cycle it in a separate container for precaution!

Yes, plus, it will give it time to soak out any unpleasantness before it hits your livestock. Don't forget to add an ammonia source to start the cycle. A raw cocktail shrimp in a net or some pantyhose will work great.

Yep a 1" live sand bed and 10lbs of live rock (which is why I ordered the dry reef saver rock) I also have a Clarkii clown and an emerald crab.

Sorry Alex for the delay in responding. I had a bit of a crisis at home. I agree with MrX to cure rock in separate contaiber just to be on the safe side.

Yes, seeding it will greatly speed up the process.
I'm also curing or more accurately seeding some rock for a new setup. I added some ammonia, accidentally a bit high ~7ppm, and then a few hours later added the contents of a 7 month old in-tank refugium I will no longer use in the new tank; ~1.5lbs mud and ~1lb oolite sand, plus bits of rock and coral chunks.
I also added a couple capfuls of Bactiv8 NPX bottled bacteria.
That was late yesterday afternoon, an hour ago I tested the water and the nitrites were about 5ppm, and 0 yesterday, so seeding definitely made a big difference.
I figure the new rock and bio-media in there will be rather well seeded in another week.

Well two days ago I checked and all was at 0, so I dosed ammonia again, checked yesterday about this time and ammonia was at 8ppm+, nitrite 0 and within two hours nitrite had climbed up to about 1 ppm.
Now today, 24 hours later, ammonia is at 0, nitrite is about 4-5ppm and I imagine that in about another 12 hours it will be close to 0.
Looks like my rock and media are rather well colonized now, and it's only been two weeks. I can only conclude that seeding it and the high ammonia has resulted in a strong, robust colony. I know the level of ammonia I dosed is way outside what is recommended, but it worked for me.

Now I have to break down the 30, fix the stand and then set-up/transfer everything to the 50 waiting in the wings.:D

Do you think this had anything to do with the bottled bacteria, or are you still thinking it was because you added a rock?

Do you think this had anything to do with the bottled bacteria, or are you still thinking it was because you added a rock?

why the sarcastic tone?
Not a rock, many small rocks and sand/mud from a refugium, and about 1/4 pound of matrix that was in the filter.
I definitely seeded it a lot, but I also wanted a fast turnover for the rock to get populated. I also have the water flow being forced through a mesh bag of media that I wanted cycled, so it isn't just passive contact.
I just put the bottle stuff in because there was some around.
could also have something to do with the fact that I've been doing this for decades and know what I'm doing. ;)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418281549.807452.jpg
So yesterday I added salted RO after thoroughly cleaning the sand. Put the dried rock in after cleaning that. Today when temperature was good I was going to add some live rock to seed the dried rock. I was also going to get some live sand from my other marine tank and put that in there. Once that is done I was going to throw in a couple of shrimp to rot and start the cycle. Does this sound ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for all the responses everyone. This is what the tank looks like now after 2 hours speculating how the rock work should look. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418324829.126520.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should aim for as many crevices and places for your fish to hide in if necessary and still try to provide room to swim around. How it ends up looking in the end is only defined by your own creativity and imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom