Current LED + vs Fluval Aqualife and Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I get some opinions on these two lights, and if you had a choice which one would you go with? Currently the Fluval is being liquidated at a big box store, and the price is really really good. I am looking at them for some low light plants, and a better looking light in my new tank 36G Bowfront.

I have the plus pro from current in my 60 gallon display, but do not feel like laying that much money down on a tank light that wont get displayed as much.

Satellite Freshwater LED+ | Current-USA

vs

Aqualife & Plant Performance LED | Aquarium Lighting | Fluval

Last edited:
Actually after reading around the par on it is not that great, and at 24in there is no data.. For the price I could get it for, I could get the satellite plus pro in the 24-36in model for $40 more with 100par at 12in. The only thing is with my tank being 30in across will the 24 be enough to provide light across the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Fluval will be perfect for low-light plants as stated in your original post. If you want higher PAR you will definitely need CO2 infusion...else you will have an algae farm. Do you have CO2?

I'd go sat plus over fluval. both will be pretty low light on that tank though. Finnex planted plus would be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, the PLUS would work. The OP stated the PRO fixture. My first thought was "algae farm".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the Pro, I couldn't i just lower the light intensity to prevent the algae explosion? Or does it not work that way, the only reason I am looking at skipping the Fluval is because the data i saw only provided PAR readings from 6in away, and after 6in it was below a 20PAR my tank is 24in.

Well I bought the Current Satellite Plus Pro 24-36in model, I got it for $100 on Amazon. So that should give me some flexibility if i decide Co2 is in my future.

100+PAR @ 12in

so i would guess

50+ PAR @ 24in?

Par doesn't work that way. The PAR at double might be closer to <25 at 24". adding a Finnex planted + would be much better and closer to the 50 at 24" you are looking for.

It should have a par chart with values @ depth for that light. I'm thinking you'll be in the 30-35 range at 24". Should produce anyways.

Par doesn't work that way. The PAR at double might be closer to <25 at 24". adding a Finnex planted + would be much better and closer to the 50 at 24" you are looking for.

At this point I already purchased the Plus Pro, if I need more light (which I don't right now) I can look at adding another or possibly bringing over my dual T-8's to add in the mix.

It should have a par chart with values @ depth for that light. I'm thinking you'll be in the 30-35 range at 24". Should produce anyways.

Brookster,

The only data I could find from the MFG was this:

http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Satellite-LED-Product-Comparison.pdf

12" 100+ PAR from the comparison chart.

But I am only growing low light plants right now, so that should be more than adequate for the situation.

I just searched and couldn't find it.. there is a chart with values up to 18" I believe. Would give you a better idea, can't find it now. Give me a little bit.. I'm in the case!

Found it!! You're in solid med. Light in that tank..

Attachments

• 1424361859235.jpg
    1424361859235.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 148
Chandler Bing voice - "Could this guy... BE anymore wrong?"

It does have good blue and red (640 nm) led's but lumens and color temp are pretty worthless when it comes to measuring how good a light will grow plants.

I like that the Fluval is a bit wider than the Current and Ecoxotic but I think it's a little under powered Fluval is rolling out the 2.0 soon with timers and ramp timers.

Chandler Bing voice - "Could this guy... BE anymore wrong?"

It does have good blue and red (640 nm) led's but lumens and color temp are pretty worthless when it comes to measuring how good a light will grow plants.

I like that the Fluval is a bit wider than the Current and Ecoxotic but I think it's a little under powered Fluval is rolling out the 2.0 soon with timers and ramp timers.

I figured that is why these were on massive discounts ~$140+ off price.

Back
Top Bottom