Cuttings Tank - Outside?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DocOc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a little 10G tank that I decided to use as a place to get plants established that are getting destroyed by loaches. I didn't want to spend much energy on it, so I have placed it outside. It has 50/50 laterite/pool sand, a AC20 filter, and a bunch of snails. I live in San Diego, so it's pretty much always sunny or overcast and rarely cold (today it's 80F).
I don't care about algae. I put used tank water and gross filter media in there for carbon and nitrogen sources. It has been a couple of weeks and not much has happened except some leaf bleaching (too much sun, I guess). The temperature gets high during the day...mid 90's. But there are bubbles all over the plants (pearling or warm water out-gassing?).
Oh, and what kind of plants you might ask...I'm not sure. Here is a picture.
I'm looking for ideas on how to make this work. The snails seem quite happy at least.

Attachments

• img_0685_197.jpg
    img_0685_197.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 40
DocOc said:
I put used tank water and gross filter media in there for carbon and nitrogen sources.
how is a used filter media giving you carbon? if you are thinking the activated carbon that does nothing, it is not a form of carbon that is usable by the plants. also same question for the nitrogen source, are you just thinking of the little you might get from dying bacteria?

if you actually want to get some plant growth i would dose ferts and excel. :?

also if the tank is getting inot the mid 90s you are probaly cooking your plants

what is caught on the filter material is mostly uneaten food and the waste produced by living bacteria (nitrites).
I understand that the temperature is not ideal. I have opened the top to let some heat out...We'll see how that goes. I'm working under the assumption that these are tropical plants and can take a little heat. Bad assumption?

I know this is all a little odd, but I had the materials and thought I'd give it a shot.
I do dose with a fertilizer concoction from my LFS that works well (indoors at least).

Back
Top Bottom