Cyanobacteria troubles in my 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrewQ522

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone, I'm going to try to make this as short as possible lol so bare with me here. My 10gal has been established and running for almost 2 year now. I always used to have quite a bit of stock in it as well. It started as a betta tank and when he died I then got 4 cories, 6 tetras, a kuhli loach (who is actually still alive), a bristlenose pleco, and various sakura shrimp. After about 6 months, Tetras contracted NTD i believe and all died and eventually everything else in the tank slowly died off too after that.

Then I got some Heterandria Formosa and they were hardy and bred rapidly and the only shrimp I had left was a ghost shrimp and an amano and an assassin snail. The tank became sort of neglected for a while because it was at my girls parents where we were staying at the time and we were in the process of moving, so i slacked on the weekly water changes.

Filtration was an Quietflow 10 (i believe, it's been a while and i threw out the box it came with Aqueon 10 gal tank kit) and an Aquatop CF-25 submersible sponge.

Well then we went away for a week and her sister watched the tank, and it was my fault for not really explaining to her the lighting and feeding schedule so when we came back the tank was FILTHY. Everything was covered in algae and it was just dirty from waste and stuff on the gravel. The plants too were even quite covered in algae. Immediately we moved it to our place and I did a couple water changes in a row and siphoned a good amount of the dirt from the gravel out and removed a lot of the algae.

There were only a few Formosa left in the tank at this point also. My girl then found the Betta that's currently in there (The name is Blue Steel lol) and i also added 6 ghost shrimp, 2 more Formosa pairs, and the amano, assassin, and kuhli are still alive.

The Aqueon was WAY too strong for the Betta and even worried me about the Formosa fry too so I took the Aqueon out and used the BB to start my 37gal. This is when the Cyano showed up and it came quickly. I tested my water and Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate were all 0 and I'm positive i used to have some Nitrate before. I quickly got online and did some research and began problem solving. I bought the naja grass, bought another CF-25, reduced lighting, covered it with a towel while gone and did daily 20-25% water changes and cleanings.

I also started diy CO2 to see if that would do anything. In doing all of these things I would say it is neither worse nor better which is leaving me puzzled. I even think i can see the Cyano on both the filters themselves and I don't know what to do to get rid of it and I really do not want to have to break down the whole tank completely. I attached pics, and I'm sorry it's so long lol but I wanted to provide as much info as possible for you guys. THANK YOU!:fish2:

here's a video

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok honestly I didn't read the whole thing. But I saw cyano and it looks like you have a bit of blackbeard(tell me if I'm wrong cos pics are kinda hard to tell by). If it is bba spot dose with Hydrogen peroxide. For the cyano buy erythromycin from any pet store and dose as instructed. Try to keep your wcs consistent and it shouldn't come back I think.

Meese

Yeah it's quite a long post I know lol but I tried to leave as much info as possible for you guys. And I'll take some pics with the digital camera later and try to upload those. And I'll look into spot treating. I just want to try to resolve the problem versus treating it just to have it come back some day

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If its BBA you can do the non chemical way, just buy a flying fox algae eater or a type that eats the black stuff up!
I had that problem with one of my earlier tanks, and the algae eater ate that stuff up in no time![emoji6]

Clem

If its BBA you can do the non chemical way, just buy a flying fox algae eater or a type that eats the black stuff up!
I had that problem with one of my earlier tanks, and the algae eater ate that stuff up in no time![emoji6]

Clem

Here are some more pics. Does it look like BBA? I'm not really familiar with BBA. It's tough to see in the picture but there is Cyano on the filter itself, idk why it didn't show up as good in the pic here as it did on my phone but it's where those bubbles are on the sponge. Man this stuff is frustrating

Yeah spot treat bba with hydrogen peroxide. And ethro. Cyano. To keep it from coming back do regular waterchanges every week

Meese

Yeah spot treat bba with hydrogen peroxide. And ethro. Cyano. To keep it from coming back do regular waterchanges every week

Meese

ok thank you. i'm assuming there are threads here on how to treat the BBA?

Good luck, it seems to be all over in your tank...you can treat it all you like to but its the same type I had, it sticks on everything !!!

Clem

Good luck, it seems to be all over in your tank...you can treat it all you like to but its the same type I had, it sticks on everything !!!

Clem

I know! It's everywhere and i never had it before, it came out of nowhere. Were you able to ever rid your tank of it?

Back
Top Bottom