cycle help for new 30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok whoever is reading i didnt do a fishless cycle i tried to add fish right away with a combo of nutrafin cycle and go figure fishy graveyard so what iam wondering is through this cycle how often do i test the water and would you mind if i told you my results week by week cause iam the real dummy iam surprised i figured out how to test the water lol i hope iam not in over my head cause iam in over budget thats for sure lol:confused:

I am also in the process of a cycling tank. Are all your fish now gone? You could go fishless cycle now then. Someone will chime in soon, don't despair this is a GREAT place for answers.

I can tell you that frequent testing will be required and that you should use the test tube liquid water testers, the strips are unreliable.

Good luck!!

Hi most of us started off this way and have been through it all before I gad real problems starting mine off turned out juwel supplied an under powered filter for the tank but that's an other story post your results and try to do a good few water changes to keep the remaining fish in as little stress as possible ammo-lock may also help you out here

Welcome to AA!

When I cycle, I test for ammonia and nitrite once a week once a week, Once they are not present (they can effect the nitrate test). Once Im testing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-20 nitrates, I start to stock slowly (1-3 every 2 weeks).

Do you have a test kit as of right now? If not, I recommend getting one (liquid, not test strips. Strips are inaccurate.

I dont mind if you post your results at all :)

i do have a liquid test test kit here are the results ph 8 ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrate 0 its only been running for 3 days now but i have one fantail still alive in there

Omg I saw your last reply and I read too fast and thought you said ammonia= 8 and I was like "GET THEM OUT OF THERE!" lol

hmm, ok, since you still have one fish alive, I would recommend testing your tank every 1-3 days. This is so you can monitor your parameters and do a Partial Water Change when needed.(make sure that the ammonia nor nitrite get past .25, do this by keeping the water changes up and testing).

Results seem a little odd.... I would expect some ammonia or something are the tests in date? Not too sure what to suggest here as the results should be showing a build up of atleast something you could try running water from the tap in to the tubes and check the results of that to see if your test kit is working ok keep us posted

As tyspot says keep testing and keep an eye on the levels ammo lock gives a false positive but should keep the fish ok as it conerts ammonia in to ammonium but I really don't like using chems unless absolutely necessary

Results seem a little odd.... I would expect some ammonia or something are the tests in date? Not too sure what to suggest here as the results should be showing a build up of atleast something you could try running water from the tap in to the tubes and check the results of that to see if your test kit is working ok keep us posted

I am assuming it was the nutrafin cycle that caused these results.....

Hello. I am in the similar position as you are. Click my 10G Build Thread in my signature and you will see what mistakes I have done as well.

Right now I am in my 5th-6th week of cycling with my 2 plecos, gold and calico fantails, and my koi (most of them will have another home soon) in it. Since the goldfishes are a known for releasing massive ammonia, I have to changed my water at least 50-65% 2 times a day just to lower down my ammonia. I average in 1ppm in my ammonia and .50ppm in my nitrite now, but the experts told me to have them both at least 0.25ppm because of the fishes.

I checked the ammonia and nitrite everyday since the ammonia always changes due to the bioload of the fishes. so far I always update my levels in my thread and the experts does not mind at all. They are always willing to help (which I really needed to make things right).

API Freshwater Master kit is mostly the recommended liquid test. I used test strips before but it is not the same when I get the API.

Welcome to AA by the way.

:)

oh...i think well water does not carry chlorine so I don't know if you don't need to put conditioner on it..i am not familiar with it.

one thing for sure though, i think you should lay off on using the nutrafin cycle so it will not mess up with your levels. IMHO.

Well water is actually better for fish tanks because it doesn’t contain any chlorine. The problem is it is "hard water", containing lots of iron and minerals. It also contains a lot of C02 (carbon dioxide).

The easiest thing to do, is take a test of your well water . It can test your water and tell you the pH and what your general water chemistry is. Another easy thing to do is just leave the water sit overnight to get the C02 out of it before you put it into the tank (optional). By the way, get real aquarium plants which will love the C02 and convert it to oxygen.

I would still recommend to add a little de-chlorinator to be on the safe side.

ok i tested again today results were ph 8, ammonia 0.6, nitrite 0, and nitrate 0 this is the third day since the tank was set up with one fan tail still living do i need to do a partial water change or clean gravel or should i leave it alone to devolop bacteria. keep in mind this is the third day for the new tank and had fish in it since the first day.

Partial water change only, the gravel vac could disturb the bacteria settling in the gravel-- possibly resulting a mini-cycle.

Tomorrow would be good. You do not want to check the parameters right away after you do a water change (De-chlorinator could affect results).

The thing that would speed up the cycle (That you currently have) would be the Nutrafin cycle. I was assuming (At first) that you had no fish in the tank, but now that you say..... go ahead and use the Nutrafin cycle (Most bacterial additives need to be added with fish to properly work).

Keep in check with your parameters and keep us updated (Ask any question that you have and need answered). Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom