Cycle in 2 weeks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncscuba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Set up new 45g saltwater tank about 2 weeks ago. Using RO water, have 40ish pounds of live rock and 45lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive.

Starting cycling day 1 using some cocktail shrimp from the store stuffed in a stocking (recommended to me). I also used some API quickstart during setup and after a partial water change a week later.

I changed about 13 gallons of water at the 1 week mark and my readings the next day were (all test were done using API saltwater tests):

Temp - 77.8
salinity - 1.024
PH - 8
Ammonia - .3 (this has been higher but didn't want to list all my tests)
Nitrite - 3 (this has been higher but didn't want to list all my tests)
Nitrate - 70 (this has been higher but didn't want to list all my tests)

Tested last night and again this morning (right at two weeks in)
Temp - 77.1
salinity 1.024
PH - 8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - little over 20

Question is, does it look right for the ammonia and nitrites to cycle to 0 that quick? I hear stories about it taking a month or longer.

Also, I have been using Instant Ocean Sea Buffer for the past couple day trying to raise the PH level but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Any suggestions?

The live rock and added beneficial bacteria probably sped things up . I have cycled multiple tanks using Dr. Tim's and all took about a week to cycle. Add fish, one at a time, every 3-4 weeks and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I started my tank with a table shrimp with live rock and seeded filter media, and my cycle only took 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any ammonia or nitrite is bad, meaning not ready for livestock. Keep cycling! Then you have to monitor nitrate regularly.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom