Cycle question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As long as you see nitrites, continue with to the WCs.
Did you do anything to the tank recently (before the ammonia spiked)? Clean the filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I had to change the filter bag to a new bag because the month passed by and they told me to change it monthly so I did and I added new decorations but I brush them with hot water before adding it to the tank

I think you're doing the best under the conditions. If you want to speed up the cycling, you can just buy a bottle of the nitrifying bacteria. One thing to keep in mind is that you might get a dud. depending on how the bottle was kept in transit from manufacturer to the store, the bacteria in the bottle might be dead already.

I have used Dr Tim's and another brand that I can't recall. I bought Dr Tim's off amazon and the other one from Pet Smart. I used both, assuming one might be a dud.

Thank you so much! Will look into that

Well I had to change the filter bag to a new bag because the month passed by and they told me to change it monthly so I did and I added new decorations but I brush them with hot water before adding it to the tank

What kind of filter are you using? I know already asked this a few posts back.
Is the filter bag the type with a white (when new) fluffy exterior and filled with carbon or other media? If so, the majority of the beneficial bacteria (BB) reside in the filter media and by replacing it you're basically starting from scratch, cycle-wise. Well almost. There are BB present in other parts of the tank but the filter media contains most of it. This could explain the elevated ammonia and nitrites.
The recommended maintenance is to swish the filter bag/cartridge/media in water removed from the tank after a water change. This should remove most of the debris and preserve the BB.
There are helpful articles in the Stickies section of the Freshwater > Getting Started area. You should read them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't look into the bottled bacteria. While some people seem to have a little luck with them, at this point in the game I'd go with what Fresh is saying.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/bacteria.php. There's a link that explains some of the risk of adding bottled bacteria, basically most of the time the bacteria in them that you would want will be dead. Also, there will be bad bacteria that can compete with the bacteria you have already established and make it a longer process or require you to constantly add it.

I'd say just go with water changes, plants, and do not change the media or remove anything that could have beneficial bacteria on it, if you need to clean the media swish it around in a bucket of used tank water during your water change.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't look into the bottled bacteria. While some people seem to have a little luck with them, at this point in the game I'd go with what Fresh is saying.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/bacteria.php. There's a link that explains some of the risk of adding bottled bacteria, basically most of the time the bacteria in them that you would want will be dead. Also, there will be bad bacteria that can compete with the bacteria you have already established and make it a longer process or require you to constantly add it.

I'd say just go with water changes, plants, and do not change the media or remove anything that could have beneficial bacteria on it, if you need to clean the media swish it around in a bucket of used tank water during your water change.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks!!

I say skip any bottled beneficial bacteria. Bacteria needs to thrive under certain temperatures and conditions and not inside a bottle. It's a waste of your money.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I say skip any bottled beneficial bacteria. Bacteria needs to thrive under certain temperatures and conditions and not inside a bottle. It's a waste of your money.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay :) I'll keep doing daily water changes. Just hope everything settles soon

Back
Top Bottom