Cycle Readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterVirgin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, this is my tank is in the 5th week of the cycle. My tank is:

75 gallon
75 lbs Figi LR
LS mixed with dead
1 power head (will add a second today)
Wet/Dry filter

My readings are:
SG=1.023
temp=81 F
NH3=0
NO2=.05
NO3=25
pH=8.2
KH=13.3
Alkalinity=4.74 meq/L
PO4=2
I have not connected my lighting yet.

I know that the phosphate is high. My RO/DI system arrives tomorrow. The tank has been cycling on well water .

Are these readings normal? The nitrite has been at .05 for 1 week now. How long does it take to reach 0?

Could someone please give feedback on the KH and Alkalinity readings?

I plan to do a 50% water change when the cycle is complete. Is this correct? How can I get the PO4 down significantly? Please provide suggestions.

I have not installed my protein skimmer yet. I was waiting for the cycle to finish. Is this right? If so, should I turn it on before or after the 50% water change?

BTW, I also brown dust looking stuff in the sump of the wet/dry. It looks like the brown dust on my sandbed. Could these be diatoms?

I would really appreciate as much feedback and as many recommendations as possible.

The cycle looks like its wrapping up at this point. Im supprised your nitrite has not gotten down to 0. What kind of incraments does your kit use?

Depending on how your KH reading is measured its probably in the good range. There are a few was of mearusing it.

THE phophsate can be lowered with water changes and also via something called a phosphate sponge. I would just let it come down naturally via the skimmer and water changes.

Thanks for the response.

I'll definitely look into the phosphate sponge. Any brand recommendations?

The Kh is read in dKh units.

The nitrite increments are 0, 0.05, .1, .2, .5, 1, 2-10. I have Red Sea test kits for ammonia and nitrite. Hagen for pH. Salifert for everything else.

Should I turn on the protein skimmer after the nitrite reaches zero?

The brown dust looking stuff in the bottom of your sump is most likely diatom algae. The brown diatom algae is common in new tanks. It is not an algae to worry about at this point. If the algae starts to heavily coat objects in your tank, it can photosynthesis and produce oxygen, often seen as bubbles, which in turn might raise PH to dangerously high levels (above8.6) but this is not something i'd worry about now.

Back
Top Bottom