Cycle screwed up?!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shelby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been cycling my 10 gallon tank for about 20 days now, and a few days ago my readings were 3.0 Ammonia, 5.0 Nitrites, 80+ Nitrates.

I removed a decoration out of the tank because my husband wanted something else in there and added a different decoration. A day after that I tested the water again and it was still the same readings.

Someone told me to do a partial water change, so I did a 25% water change and added prime and more ammonia to get it up to 2.0.

Ok so now I have tested the water for about 2 1/2 days and my readings are 2.0 Ammonia (didn't change in 2 days!), 0 Nitrites, and 40 Nitrates.

Did I screw up my cycle??? If I did what do I do to fix it??

Welcome to AA Shelby!

I don't think you screwed up the cycle.

Remove decorations does remove SOME bacteria, but in a filtered, cycled tank would not cause a readable ammonia spike.

The only thing I could think of would be a chemical on the decoration, and I'm curious if it was from an aquarium shop (or Petco, etc aquarium section) and if it was rinsed.

Otherwise, it's just a waiting game. A 25% change would not remove all 5.0 nitrites so it seems as though you do have some good activity.

What are you using to test your water? If you're using strips, that may be your problem. They're not very accurate most of the time. Invest in a good liquid reagent test kit. I'm a fan of the API Freshwater Master. It's a little expensive, but it lasts forever and is cheaper per test than the strips.

I think I'd actually do another 50%-75% PWC to get the nitrates down below 20ppm. Redose the ammonia and keep checking. It sounds like you're close.

The only thing I could think of would be a chemical on the decoration, and I'm curious if it was from an aquarium shop (or Petco, etc aquarium section) and if it was rinsed.
I bought the decoration off of amazon.com and I did rinse it off with hot water.

A 25% change would not remove all 5.0 nitrites so it seems as though you do have some good activity.
That is what is bothering me the most.. After I did the water change my nitrites went from 5 to 0.

What are you using to test your water? If you're using strips, that may be your problem. They're not very accurate most of the time. Invest in a good liquid reagent test kit. I'm a fan of the API Freshwater Master. It's a little expensive, but it lasts forever and is cheaper per test than the strips.
I am using the API master kit.

I think I'd actually do another 50%-75% PWC to get the nitrates down below 20ppm. Redose the ammonia and keep checking. It sounds like you're close.
Ok I will try that!

Missed the part about adding more prime and ammonia. I would shoot for closer to 4ppm of ammonia. You may have stalled your cycle a little but it should bounce back. I would try finding some type of seed material (used filter sponges, gravel, anything) from an established tank. That drastically speeds up your cycle time.

Back
Top Bottom