Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukac123

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I’ve been cycling for about a week and it will be done tomorrow. Does that mean I can put a cleanup crew in there or should I build it up where it does a full cycle in 24 hours?

How have you been cycling ? By adding ammonia ? How much did you add how often?
Did you just add last week and now it is going zero on everything but NO3?
I would want it clear ammonia in 24 hours before stocking .

I added dr Tim’s ammonia. I just added it once last week. My parameters today are

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .25
Nitrate - 20

Can you dose the tank again ?
I would want to see ammonia and nitrite go zero in 24 hours .
I have never used Dr. Tims on a side note .

Agree with CB about dosing and making sure the Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 within 24 hours. Your livestock will benefit from making sure.

like said above dosing again to see if ammonia goes away in 24 hours is always a good idea .
a week is rather fast for a cycle the average cycle is 4 to 6 weeks . don't get fooled by a false positive as many have in the past .

double checking wont hurt your cycle it will just show if it's done or not , remember it's always better to be safe now , rather than finding out later after adding stock that the tank wasn't cycled correctly and you start loosing stock .

double checking is always a good practice when testing anything in saltwater.
look forward to seeing your tank in the future.

Last edited:
I hadn’t been home to test it yet. I’m gonna test it when I get home later today. It should have brought he ammonia up to 2 ppm

I used Dr. Tims, as well. It took me about three weeks to cycle. I dosed it to 4 ppm today be on the safe side, and waited for readings to be zero in 24
hrs. Once I did that,I again dosed for 4 ppm waited 24 hrs. and I was good to go. NEVER hurts to be overly cautious, especially when you are making an investment, in your fish hobby, as well as with a living creature.

Did you test to see what level it brought your ammonia to ?
How did it test out today ?

I used Dr. Tims, as well. It took me about three weeks to cycle. I dosed it to 4 ppm to be on the safe side, and waited for readings to be zero in 24
hrs. Once I did that, I again dosed for 4 ppm waited 24 hrs. and I was good to go. NEVER hurts to be overly cautious, especially when you are making an investment, in your fish hobby, as well as with a living creature. Doesn't hurt to test one more time.....

Back
Top Bottom