cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was told to get a few grass shrimp and keep them for a week then add fish then the fish will eat the shrimp and it will be safe. So what do you think, I will be feeding the shrimp with some brine shrimp and this should be alot fast than putting a dead shrimp like an article I found here

I WOULDNT put anything alive in your tank when you cycle first its cruel, second you may have problems in the long run.. Dead uncooked shrimp or Live rock will cycle your tank.

ebster said:
I was told to get a few grass shrimp and keep them for a week then add fish then the fish will eat the shrimp and it will be safe. So what do you think, I will be feeding the shrimp with some brine shrimp and this should be alot fast than putting a dead shrimp like an article I found here

Quite the contrary. Shrimp are more sensitive and don't really produce enough ammonia to cycle a tank. The live shrimp will also prolong your cycle since you will absolutely have to do several water changes during the cycle to help keep the shrimp alive. The raw cocktail shrimp is the best method and most humane method. Nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby.

I can not get over all the bad advice that is thrown around by these lfs. Thank god for the internet. Follow the advice above.

Good Luck,
Brian

Back
Top Bottom