Cycleing idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brizo

Aquarium Advice Activist
This just hit me everyone's always telling me that filters have bacteria that tanks need and so forth. Well I idiotically didn't properly cycle my tank before adding fish but I do have a completely cycled 20 long. Would it be a wise idea too switch the filter cartridge out with one from my 55 (the one not cycled)

When I set my new tank up and started its cycle I moved one of the media bags from my older tank into the new one. It has only been a few days and I did not see any effect of the older tank and the new one has started converting amonia already. I don't see why this wouldnt work. In fact most people tell you to do this to kick off the new tanks cycle faster.

If you're moving the stock from the 20 to the 55, that would work. But if you plan to keep both running, you don't want to take all the bacteria from the 20, or you'll end up having to cycle that one again.
You could add an extra filter pad to the 20 and let that seed for a week or two before adding it to the 55, but you'll have to keep up with water changes in the meantime. Even after a week or two, you probably won't be fully cycled, but it'll give you a nice head start. I'd keep the stock low in the 55 until it gets stabilized.

When I set my new tank up and started its cycle I moved one of the media bags from my older tank into the new one. It has only been a few days and I did not see any effect of the older tank and the new one has started converting amonia already. I don't see why this wouldnt work. In fact most people tell you to do this to kick off the new tanks cycle faster.

I've also heard that but I'm not sure if there would be any draw backs. Would it help my nitrite and nitrate levels if I did switch them?

If you're moving the stock from the 20 to the 55, that would work. But if you plan to keep both running, you don't want to take all the bacteria from the 20, or you'll end up having to cycle that one again.
You could add an extra filter pad to the 20 and let that seed for a week or two before adding it to the 55, but you'll have to keep up with water changes in the meantime. Even after a week or two, you probably won't be fully cycled, but it'll give you a nice head start. I'd keep the stock low in the 55 until it gets stabilized.

I have some pretty hearty fish in the 20 you don't think they'd make it if I switched?

Nitrite yes, nitrate no. If you want to lower nitrates you can do it via water changes or live plants ( which will utilize nitrates). Ive found duckweed to work as a good nitrate sponge.

I have some pretty hearty fish in the 20 you don't think they'd make it if I switched?

Are you talking about switching them to the new tank, or taking their filter media?
You can take small portions of existing media, and put that in the new tank to help "seed" the new media. This is not an instant cycle, but it will help it cycle faster.
But if you take all or too much of the media from the 20, there won't be enough bacteria left to keep up with the existing ammonia levels, and you will end up with a mini-cycle until more bacteria is established.
If you are moving everything from the 20 to the 55, you can move the whole filter over with it.

Are you talking about switching them to the new tank, or taking their filter media?
You can take small portions of existing media, and put that in the new tank to help "seed" the new media. This is not an instant cycle, but it will help it cycle faster.
But if you take all or too much of the media from the 20, there won't be enough bacteria left to keep up with the existing ammonia levels, and you will end up with a mini-cycle until more bacteria is established.
If you are moving everything from the 20 to the 55, you can move the whole filter over with it.

What does everyone mean by media? What is that

And no I'm keeping everything from the 20 in the 20 I've already started my 55 it's been running with fish for about 2 weeks now

Media refers to the stuff in the filter ( cartridge, floss, sponge, etc etc).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom