Cycling 125 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been cycling my tank for a month now. I have 6 Danios, 5 Platys, 4 Cardinal Tetras. Big mistake on the Tetras. I started with 20 and someone told be they would be good starter fish. Multiple live plants. I want to add some Clown Loaches but this tank is not cycling like it should. All my parameters are good but never has my ammonia or nitrites budged past 0 since I filled it. My Nitrates are 0, Ph is 7.6. All the fish are doing just fine. Platys are giving birth and I find fry's daily. Did my tank somehow cycle without cycling like everything I've read ? I don't want to add anything new until I know for sure.

Last edited:
Of you have had all those fish for a month them you must be cycled, even if its 125 gallon tank. Just be careful, cycled tank does not mean license to add infinite fish. Give your bacteria some time to reproduce and cope with increasing bioload. Do not add too many fish all at once. Increasing bioload by 20% per week is OK.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With such a large tank and such a small bio-load, you might not be producing enough ammonia, so your cycle is probably just moving really slowly. Three zeros mean you're not cycled yet.

You could try overfeeding to get more ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom