cycling 29g salty... but have a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelsLilGray

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im on day 2 of the cycle... and before i tell you anything else... i ordered a heater lol. (stole it to start my 10g xD)
Anyways... i have a 29gallon that i started cycling (day 3 now) I have 2 questions about this though..

1. Does it matter if i have a heater or not during the cycle? id figure it would just slow down the cycle.. but not stop it?

2. Will only having 10lbs of liverock with a 20lb bag of live sand be enough to start the tank on its way? (will get 30+lbs of liverock.. or uncured rock soon.. but its not cheap x.x)

no heater nessecary (depending on how cold it actually gets without one)
and you may be able to cycle with that but to be sure, throw in a cocktail shrimp for at least a day or 2. that should ensure a cycle! =]
Good luck!

ive just been sprinkling a few flake foods.. and put in 2 shrimp pellets lol. its new... and im not unfamilure with a fishless cycle.. just not familure with one of the salt kind :).

The water is probably close to 59-74 degrees.. kinda hard to tell.. but its cold lol

Anything that will rot will help the cycle. A heater is not super important but it will help some of the hitchhickers to survive.
You can save money by using base rock. I like to use about 75% base to 25% LR.

Just be aware that if you put in uncured rock at a later time, you risk having another mini cycle depending on how clean the rock is.

The rock would pretty much be clean... And i dont plan on having a fish in it for about a month in a half, or so.. cant afford one till then lol

Didja ever measure the ammonia? Depending on the rock's makeup, you may have a lot or little to no ammonia. I see you're adding food, but ya gotta know where you are on the ammonia to guage what you're doing.

Also, since decay and ammonia is slower to occur in colder temps, I'd consider keeping the temp nearer to the 70s, even the higher 70s. 59 to 75 degrees? Need a thermometer too, but I would get way above 59.

thermometer is in the mail.. as well as the marine test kit. I dont see how ammonia would be tied into the white fog that covers the tank when i touch the filter media.. it looks like salt thats not mixing with the rest of the water.. just imo.. but i dont know about salt tanks... so

you likely stired up the dust and stuff on the cartridge... put some filter floss infront of or behind you cartridge if possible and it will clear up

-Brad

i really dont think it can be too much salt... if your water cant obsorb any more salt.. you got bigger problems than cloudy water

-Brad

the chemical part of the filter is likely still good its just the floss on the front thats likely loaded with dust particles... for me i use filter floss.. cheap and easier than cartridges... i let the water completely clear.. then very carefully remove the old floss and put new stuff in... let it clear again and do the same. i repeated untill it no longer clouded when i moved the floss. otherwise your just going to have the same trouble over and over

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom