Cycling 55 gal tank (one week old)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limojica

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I am very new to this. I would like to know if I can add anything to my filter to reduce the nitrites? I've noticed "media" or pouches of nitriteZorb that state it can reduce ammonia and nitrites. Sorry spelling :( Can I use this in my 305 Fluval filter? I currently have two African cichlids in there and may need to add another fish Blood Parrot 4-5 inches because my Tilapia 4 inches has started to fight with him. I currently have nine fish including these two (and seven african's) in a 29 gal 7 week old tank. I don't want to add too many fish to the 55 gal until it's ready but this may be necessary sooner than later. Not sure. Please advise. Thanks

I have lots of hiding places in both tanks.

i know aqua clear makes amonia/nitrite remover for their filters. i'm not sure about fluval. but my suggestion would be water changes...water changes...and can i say one more time water changes :D

oh what are your parameters at right now? you shouldnt have any fish in the tank if it's still cycling. if you look up HN1, he has a thread about cycling with fish. (i tried posting the link but it didnt work)

Rather than buying stuff to get rid of it, just do water changes. Get a good liquid test kit so you are sure of the readings and do water changes accordingly. Keep ammonia and nitrites below 0.25ppm and everyone will be happy! :)

OK, got the book "Freshwater Aquariums for Dummies" and it strongly talks about water changes. Also got advice about water changes and have been doing it however the fish store keeps telling me not to? Don't get it :) but I will keep doing what I am doing by changing the water and I'll get the liquid test kits. Using the strips now (I know they aren't reliable I've heard). Great, thanks all.

Oh, and will search the article as suggested! Yes I am learning about patience these days. Can't rush mother nature :) Just don't want any casualties in the process. Hmm...is that realistic!

Also got advice about water changes and have been doing it however the fish store keeps telling me not to? Don't get it :)

Really? I wonder why? When I bought my equipment, they claimed I only needed to change water a few times a year. I figured they wanted to make aquariums easy so I would buy one. However, why would they keep saying not to? :confused:

Hey Swankyspoon...you are so right. It's sad though. Someone new gets so confused when they tell you not to change the water, and buy this buy that, then all the fish die :( I realized the other day that the fish stores how powerful filters and more than one filter in the tanks. I got wise and now have two filters (double load) in each tank. So far so good. I stood in one store and watched the salesperson tell the customer he didn't know why all the fish kept dying but the guy was giving him the information...just don't care. In any case, I am so happy to be in this group. I can rest at night knowing I am doing the right things :) Thanks all!

Many people at fish stores don't know much about aquariums, particularly at Petco and Petsmart... and there's definitely a "they're just fish" mentality going around, sadly.

Can you put some filter media, gravel, ornaments, etc from the old tank in the new tank? As long as it hasn't dried out it should still have some beneficial bacteria in it to kickstart the new cycle.

Hi bluerose,

Yes, I have put the media in there. I think it's on the second stage cycle now because ammonia is good by nitrites is up. I added a 30 gal filter from the old tank along with the 305 Fluval (new) so there's 100 gal pumping power on the 55, media, gravel, caves, and a heater from other tanks. Checked water today and levels were good, fish look happy and are swimming, eating, and digging. I'd just like to add the blood parrot because of the fighting with the Tilapia. Now the blood parrot is hiding in the a cave :(

I know...it's a shame about how the fish are regarded :(

Back
Top Bottom