Cycling a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrikeJohnson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my very first tank, and I could use some help.

My tank has been set up for exactly 5 weeks. 20 gallon high with Penguin Bio-wheel. Have been cycling with 7 small zebra danio. Using API liquid test kits to check the levels daily, I have only ever gotten readings for ammonia and never higher than 1 ppm. I do a 25% water change daily using Prime. I just tested again and the ammonia is gone, but there is also no presence of nitrites or nitrates. Everything is testing at 0. Is my tank cycled? I though there would have to be at least a minimal amount of nitrates.

Note: The substrate I used, Caribsea instant, did come with a small packet of Tetra SafeStart.

You are changing too much water. Try waiting until you see ammonia 1-2 before changing, and let it rise again, you are removing the main source or food for the bacteria. I'm afraid to say I think you didn't even start cycling if you didn't get any spikes.

Thanks. I thought daily water changes seemed excessive, but that's what everything I read said to do. Guess I'll scale it back a bit.

Back
Top Bottom