Cycling a fish tank with plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to get either a 20 gallon or 25 gallon fish tank kit after Christmas. This is going to be the largest tank I have ever had, so I am super excited!! Anyways, I have read a few articles online about heavily planting a tank, so you skip the cycling period. I though this was pretty cool, because I would rather not wait 4-6 weeks for the cycle, and I can't use pure ammonia, because I have sensitive lungs, and the fish tank will be in the basement, so it is a bad combo! :lol:

I read that if you have about 60-70% planted with fast growing plants, that after a week, you could start adding fish. Does anyone have any experience with it? Does it work?

So far my stocking plans look like this:

1 upside down cat
2 German Blue Rams
1 Betta
And then a small school or raspbora or tetra. No neons or cardinals though. (5-7)
And then I will have a few shrimp and snails.

So, as you can see, I am not going to have HUGE bio-load.

So, if I heavily plant my tank, can I skip the long cycle period?

I did a silent cycle with plants in my 220g BUT you have to pack in as many plants as possible, closer to 80% minimum. Then the way you determine how heavily a tank is planted is when you look in from the top what is the percentage of visable substrate? You also need to add several fast growing stem plants and water sprite or wisteria. Look at my tank and notice how the stem plants are literally stem to stem, almost or slightly touching the leaves of the stems around it. If you add alot of plants like anubias, java ferns, crypts, and swords they are not as effective due to their slower growth compared to the ones listed above. Plus you have to really sit down and do your best to try to count how many plants you need so you can do the planting in one felled swoop.

I am going to get either a 20 gallon or 25 gallon fish tank kit after Christmas. This is going to be the largest tank I have ever had, so I am super excited!! Anyways, I have read a few articles online about heavily planting a tank, so you skip the cycling period. I though this was pretty cool, because I would rather not wait 4-6 weeks for the cycle, and I can't use pure ammonia, because I have sensitive lungs, and the fish tank will be in the basement, so it is a bad combo! :lol:

I read that if you have about 60-70% planted with fast growing plants, that after a week, you could start adding fish. Does anyone have any experience with it? Does it work?

So far my stocking plans look like this:

1 upside down cat
2 German Blue Rams
1 Betta
And then a small school or raspbora or tetra. No neons or cardinals though. (5-7)
And then I will have a few shrimp and snails.

So, as you can see, I am not going to have HUGE bio-load.

So, if I heavily plant my tank, can I skip the long cycle period?

I'm no help when it comes to the silent cycle, but as far as your stock goes, you need to hold off on the rams until AFTER your tank has cycled and is mature (like 5-6 months after it cycled). Rams are very sensitive to nitrates (ideally you want your nitrates at 10 or below if you have rams) and need pristine water conditions; they are not a fish to add right after a tank has cycled. And I wouldn't recommend two rams in your size tank (with either one you get), you run a chance of them pairing up an spawning.

In a planted tank you want nitrates at 10-20ppms as nitrate is a macro nutrient. Phosphates should be .5-1ppm. I've run planted tanks at 20ppms with Rams but in my 220g I run a low nitrate high phosphate tank keeping nitrates at 10ppm. Cyanobacteria, or blue green algae as many call it, has been linked to planted tanks that have nitrate levels below 10ppm.

But German Blue Rams do indeed need to be added after a tank has matured. Bolivian Rams although not as colorful as GBR's are much hardier and can be added to a tank much soon. But regardless of what species of Ram you get you need to keep water quality pristine.

I'm no help when it comes to the silent cycle, but as far as your stock goes, you need to hold off on the rams until AFTER your tank has cycled and is mature (like 5-6 months after it cycled). Rams are very sensitive to nitrates (ideally you want your nitrates at 10 or below if you have rams) and need pristine water conditions; they are not a fish to add right after a tank has cycled. And I wouldn't recommend two rams in your size tank (with either one you get), you run a chance of them pairing up an spawning.

Yeah, the rams were going to be the last thing added. Even if they did spawn, I would sell the babies.

I don't know that you skip the cycling period per se. Theoretically the plants are supposed to take in the ammonia and nitrite that the fish put out so they aren't harmful to the fish. As Rivercats said you need to use fast-growing plants or it won't work, water sprite, water wisteria and hornwort are some good ones. Personally I wouldn't totally trust a silent cycle; I'd still test the water daily and o extra water changes if needed as with a fish-in cycle. If done correctly (lots of the right plants and adding fish very slowly) it may minimize the work involved of a fish-in cycle but the tank would still need to go through the cycling process. IMO with fish it's best to be cautious and test/do water changes if needed anyway.

I did a silent cycle with plants in my 220g BUT you have to pack in as many plants as possible, closer to 80% minimum. Then the way you determine how heavily a tank is planted is when you look in from the top what is the percentage of visable substrate? You also need to add several fast growing stem plants and water sprite or wisteria. Look at my tank and notice how the stem plants are literally stem to stem, almost or slightly touching the leaves of the stems around it. If you add alot of plants like anubias, java ferns, crypts, and swords they are not as effective due to their slower growth compared to the ones listed above. Plus you have to really sit down and do your best to try to count how many plants you need so you can do the planting in one felled swoop.

Okay, thanks. I didn't quite remember what the actually percent was.

I usually silent cycle my FW tanks when setting them up, but during the early stages it usually requires some 50% water changes every couple of days.

Yeah, the rams were going to be the last thing added. Even if they did spawn, I would sell the babies.

My point was many people say 20g is the minimum for a spawning pair. I would try and avoid getting any bottom feeders until you are sure that the two wont pair up and breed. They will take over almost all of if not all of the bottom space if they spawn.

In a planted tank you want nitrates at 10-20ppms as nitrate is a macro nutrient. Phosphates should be .5-1ppm. I've run planted tanks at 20ppms with Rams but in my 220g I run a low nitrate high phosphate tank keeping nitrates at 10ppm. Cyanobacteria, or blue green algae as many call it, has been linked to planted tanks that have nitrate levels below 10ppm.

But German Blue Rams do indeed need to be added after a tank has matured. Bolivian Rams although not as colorful as GBR's are much hardier and can be added to a tank much soon. But regardless of what species of Ram you get you need to keep water quality pristine.

I was going to go with German Blue Rams, just because I prefer their color over the Bolivian Rams. I don't mind waiting to add them, as long as I do. Do you REALLY need to wait 5-6 months after the tank has cycled to add them? That seems like a long time to me. Maybe it isn't in the aquarium world......

For the phosphates, is there something you buy to add them? Or do they naturally accour?

You can dose phosphate with something like Seachem P or using dry powder KH2PO4.

My point was many people say 20g is the minimum for a spawning pair. I would try and avoid getting any bottom feeders until you are sure that the two wont pair up and breed. They will take over almost all of if not all of the bottom space if they spawn.

I wasn't going to buy any bottom feeders anyways, just in case they do pair up. The only bottom feeders I would have are shrimp, but I have seen how fast those guys move. I am getting some sakura red shrimp soon, and after there are some babies and I have my 20 gal set up, so I can see how they do with them, then I will see if I can add some amano shrimp.

I don't know that you skip the cycling period per se. Theoretically the plants are supposed to take in the ammonia and nitrite that the fish put out so they aren't harmful to the fish. As Rivercats said you need to use fast-growing plants or it won't work, water sprite, water wisteria and hornwort are some good ones. Personally I wouldn't totally trust a silent cycle; I'd still test the water daily and o extra water changes if needed as with a fish-in cycle. If done correctly (lots of the right plants and adding fish very slowly) it may minimize the work involved of a fish-in cycle but the tank would still need to go through the cycling process. IMO with fish it's best to be cautious and test/do water changes if needed anyway.

Yeah, get paranoid when I set up a new tank, so I'll make sure to test ans do pwc often.

I usually silent cycle my FW tanks when setting them up, but during the early stages it usually requires some 50% water changes every couple of days.

I did huge WC's for 7 days, mostly due to heavy leaching of tannins from the organic soil, planted on day 8, probably 90% of the tank. And was cycled by day 10. I added my first fish on day 10. I like to do all my tanks using a silent cycle. I added my adult angels around the 2 week mark and never had any ammonia or nitrite spikes.

I did huge WC's for 7 days, mostly due to heavy leaching of tannins from the organic soil, planted on day 8, probably 90% of the tank. And was cycled by day 10. I added my first fish on day 10. I like to do all my tanks using a silent cycle. I added my adult angels around the 2 week mark and never had any ammonia or nitrite spikes.

So, you cycled your 220 tank in 10 days? That's crazy cool, Rivercats! Wow, I am doing a silent cycle for sure now. Where did you buy your plants from? I don't have a huge budget for the plants...

I placed an enormous order from AquariumPlants.com and ended up ordering even more a few weeks later. You might want to check on the Classified forum and see if anyone has a bundle of plants for sale. The problem right now with shipping is many plants, even with heat packs don't ship to well, even overnight. You might want to talk to your local fish stores and see if you can place a plant order with them and ask if you can get a price break for ordering alot of plants at once. It can't hurt to ask.

You also have to monitor your water readings daily along with your WC's. I also had to start dosing nitrates by day 14 because having so many plants just sucked the nutrients right out of the water.

I placed an enormous order from AquariumPlants.com and ended up ordering even more a few weeks later. You might want to check on the Classified forum and see if anyone has a bundle of plants for sale. The problem right now with shipping is many plants, even with heat packs don't ship to well, even overnight. You might want to talk to your local fish stores and see if you can place a plant order with them and ask if you can get a price break for ordering alot of plants at once. It can't hurt to ask.

I wouldn't begin to order until January, since I won't get the tank until after christmas. But I just found I really great deal on craigslist for a 55 gal with a stand for $50, so it may begin sooner......

You also have to monitor your water readings daily along with your WC's. I also had to start dosing nitrates by day 14 because having so many plants just sucked the nutrients right out of the water.

What do you use to dose trates? My two gal is pretty low tech.....

Back
Top Bottom