Cycling a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samzter

Aquarium Advice Addict
So since I had that spike a month or two ago, I've been doing lots of water changes. Around 4 a week. I add ammonia remover per water change. What I'm worried about is the fact my tank might need to cycle. So I'm removing the ammonia which is preventing the cycle? Do you guys think I should stop using it? I'm concerned that every time I add it, I'm just stopping the cycle. Any advice?

You have to have the ammonia source in order to feed the bacteria. You also shouldn't be doing a bunch of WC's because your just removing the ammonia from the water. Also if you don't already have your temp set higher turn it up.

So do you recommend me to stop using the ammonia remover? I'm also using a product called nutrafin cycle. Which is meant to help but it says on the side eliminates ammonia and nitrite? Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm panicking now. I fish less cycled my tank to start off with but I might of broke the cycle a few months ago.

So yeah. I didn't dose with the ammonia remover or the cycle. When the levels shot up a month back, water changes wouldn't even sort it out.

What is your ph? So this tank is a fish-in cycle? Have you added any bio-media from the established tank?

What is your ph? So this tank is a fish-in cycle? Have you added any bio-media from the established tank?

pH is around 7. This would be a fish-in cycle. I did fish less cycle the tank over a year ago but yes, I believe I did cause a mini cycle a while back. I don't have another established tank so I didnt add any bio media

Well then knowing all this information and that it is a fish-in cycle you have to continue WC's and if you can't get ammonia down to .25ppm or lower with WC's then you might have to use the ammonia product. Have you done a 50% waited then done another 50% WC a couple hours later? It usually takes something more significant like back to back large WC's to lower levels sometimes. Also have you checked your tap water for ammonia? If it has ammonia then that is an issue that has to be handled differently again.

Well then knowing all this information and that it is a fish-in cycle you have to continue WC's and if you can't get ammonia down to .25ppm or lower with WC's then you might have to use the ammonia product. Have you done a 50% waited then done another 50% WC a couple hours later? It usually takes something more significant like back to back large WC's to lower levels sometimes. Also have you checked your tap water for ammonia? If it has ammonia then that is an issue that has to be handled differently again.

Thanks a lot river cats! There is no ammonia in the tap water. I will make sure to record the readings over the next two weeks. If I see ammonia at 0.25ppm do I leave it in the hope that it converts or do I do immediate water changes? Pretty stupid question but I don't want to have this tank never cycle!

If your ammonia reading is over .25ppm now do a 50% WC. Test it in 2 hours and if it's still over .25ppm then do another 50%. If needed a 3rd can be done in another 2 hours or if it's low enough stop at 2 WC's and retest tomorrow to see where your level is at. Test each day and whenever it creeps up over .25ppm then do a 50% WC.

If your ammonia reading is over .25ppm now do a 50% WC. Test it in 2 hours and if it's still over .25ppm then do another 50%. If needed a 3rd can be done in another 2 hours or if it's low enough stop at 2 WC's and retest tomorrow to see where your level is at. Test each day and whenever it creeps up over .25ppm then do a 50% WC.

Thanks a bunch :) when I thought I broke the cycle a month and a bit ago, I had nitrate. But only 5-10ppm. So hopefully removing the ammonia and nitrite and doing water changes have hopefully stopped them from coming back :) ( I hope that makes sense)

How often do you think I should put a sprinkle of fish food in my 10g fish less cycle?

Back
Top Bottom