Cycling Cichlid Tank! Give me some suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think of my tank and what can it use?

• I like it the way it is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More caves/hiedouts.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • More plants.

• More rocks in general.

• Total voters

dkarab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I am a new member to AA as of 12:00AM 7/15. Here are a few shots of my tank and how it is currently set up. Let me know what you guys think. It is an Aqueon 20G Long btw.

Attachments

• Photo on 7-14-13 at 11.49 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 7-14-13 at 11.49 PM #2.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Photo on 7-14-13 at 11.48 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 7-14-13 at 11.48 PM #3.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Photo on 7-14-13 at 11.48 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 7-14-13 at 11.48 PM #2.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 86
hahah actually i have 9 cichlids in there already. I used dirty media from a friends tank to seed my tank and it worked. Although i have high levels of ammonia and nitrite and low levels of nitrate (seeded about 2 weeks ago) tanks been running for 3, i do a 25% water change everyday and also use Amquel Plus or Prime, one of the two forgot for sure so they are doing pretty well. I have 2 yellow haps i believe, two oranges, a texas cichlid i believe or a firemouth, not sure they both look alike.

I would add more hiding spots I have a 55g with 25 mbuna cichlids its a pita keeping up with the water changes required. I would definatley re-home a couple of the ones that will grow larger. The 2 you said you have gold gaps? Did you mean gold labs aka electric yellow labidochromis?

@aquandrew- yeah I def did think of that ahead of time and i figure I will def buy around a 46g in the fall/winter and I dont expect them to outgrow this tank by then so I should be fine for now. And i meant yellow haps i believe they are called. From Lake Malawi.

@aquandrew- yeah I def did think of that ahead of time and i figure I will def buy around a 46g in the fall/winter and I dont expect them to outgrow this tank by then so I should be fine for now. And i meant yellow haps i believe they are called. From Lake Malawi.

If there from lake Malawi there yellow labs if there a bright yellow with black stripes on there fins. I have one he is a cool fish one of the more docile mbuna cichlids. Unless its a yellow blaze hap? That may be what you have either way here's a pic of an electric yellow lab.

Last edited:
my apologies yes that is what I meant to say, i have two yellow labs in there.

i would research each cichlid you have, you have old and new world mixed together and they will end up killing each other

Ahh really? Yeah I know little to nothing about the compatibilty between certain species of cichlids. Any info and tips sent my way would be greatly appreciated !

yellow labs are african and im pretty sure the rest are central/south america you have to decide if you want to keep the labs and go african or get rid of them and go south american

There is an article on this site labeled aquarium stocking cichlids you should read it it will help you a lot.

Back
Top Bottom