Cycling done properly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best and easiest way to do it is by taking used filter media from another tank and using it in the new one.

1)You could fill the 20 with conditioned water and put the 10 gallon filter on it for a few hours. That will almost instantly cycle your tank.

2)If you have a fish store you go to alot see if they can give you some used media, and put it in the filter you will be using for the 20.

3) Put the filter you will be using in the 20 gallon, into the 10 gallon for a couple days. Run both filter at the same time, and the new filter will be seeded.

I want to get the tank and put the stuff from my 10g in it so the old filter in there will instantly cycle it and after the new filters in when can I add everything

You will need to run both the old filter & new filter together for a few weeks to seed the new filter. You can put fish in the same day but make sure you monitor your water for a week or so to make sure there are no spikes of amm/nitrite. If there are, do water changes as needed to keep everything in check. Good luck with the new tank!

Hey I had some bad experiences with cycling my ten gal but I will be getting a 20 g on Monday please give me some advice

Hello Shane...

Cycling a tank is simple, but will take four to six weeks. Just set up the tank with the heater, filter and lighting. Put in the substrate of your choice, fill the tank half way, add some stem plants like Water wisteria and Pennywort, then fill the tank the rest of the way.

Start up the equipment and let it run for a day and then add a few small, hardy fish. I like Zebra Danios or Platys. These fish will easily survive the cycling process. Their waste will start the cycling process.

Just test your tank water daily and when you see just a trace of ammonia or nitirites, do a 25 percent water change to bring the water back into the safe zone for the fish. When the ammonia and nitrites consistently read "0", then you can add a few more fish.

Keep testing the water and doing the water changes until you've stocked your tank. When the tank is stocked, just increase your water changes to 50 percent weekly. This will maintain stable water conditions for the plants and fish.

Again, pretty simple, just takes time.

B

I basically did exactly what BBradbury did. Had some trouble with it taking a very long time, like 8-9 weeks but eventually worked perfect.

Hardest part of the process is having patience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom