Cycling fast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Started cycling my 20g tank Thursday night about 10pm and today I've already seen a drop in ammonia from 4ppm to 2ppm. I do have a heater and it's turned up all the way but it seems fast from what Ive been reading. I also do not have any seeding material. Does this sound ok or could I have done something wrong?

It sounds like you are doing fine! Are you checking for nitrites, nitrates, & ph as well? You will want to monitor these too to see how your tank is doing. If your ammonia is dropping, you should see some level of nitrites. Ph is important as well because a drop or jump can stall your cycle. Keep us posted! :)

I have not tested for the other yet. It said to let it get down to 1ppm them does it back up and test it again in a few days. I seem to be moving faster than that so I've been test every day and last night and this morning it read 2ppm. Should I test for the other two anyway?

I would def check for nitrites & ph daily if your ammonia is dropping. You probably dont need to test for nitrates this early in cycling. Also, make sure you test your tap water for amm, nitrite, nitrate, & ph so you know what you are starting with in your tank. Let your tap water sit overnight before testing ph. Dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

I just tested my water and my ammonia is 2ppm and my nitrite is approximately 1ppm and my nitrate is approximately
5.0 ppm.

Those are high numbers for amm/nitrite in your tap but your bacteria will consume this once established & a good water conditioner will keep these levels from affecting your fish. In the future (once you have fish), you will need to do mutiple smaller water changes rather than a big one every week. Do you have city or well water?

Confusion on my part- are the numbers for 2ppm amm & 1 ppm nitrite out of your tank or your tap??

This is my tank water not my tap water. I just finished my tap water and this is what it is. I have city water I think

Attachments

• image-531295640.jpg
    image-531295640.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 92
The first picture is my tank. It's at 2ppm ammonia and 1ppm nitrates. The second picture is my tap water which seems to have a very high pH is that going to be a problem?

Sorry for the confusion! Your tank numbers look good for cycling-keep up the good work! But your tap numbers are on the high side for ammonia & theres detectable nitrite. The nitrate in your tap is no big deal. Back to what i said earlier, you may have to do more frequent, smaller water changes once you have fish. I would double check the ammonia test for your tap-make sure you rinse the tube really well before testing in case theres residue of amm from your tank water. Nothing to worry about! Lets get you through cycling & we will tackle your tap water issues when we get there!

In respect to the tap ph- you will need to test it after it sits for 24hrs so it can gas out. If you have an extra airstone or bubbler that you can stick in the tap water, this would be the best route to mimic your tanks conditions. If you dont, give it a good stir every so often to aerate the water. Then, check it tommorrow & let us know if it looks any different.

Well I did another tap water ammonia teat and it seems to be the same. About .5 ppm. I made sure to rinse the tube like 5 times before I tested the water.

At this point I should dose my ammonia in my tank back up to 4ppm correct?

As for an airdrome or air pump I currently don't have one. Is that something I'm going to need? I bought the 20 gallon starter kit and was advised to buy a heater so I did. Should I invest in an air pump too?

Ok! Yes, dose your amm back up to 4ppm & lets see how things look tommorrow! Do you have an established tank or know anyone that does? Getting some established filter media & adding it to your filter will speed things along. Another option would be to purchase a live filter (search for 'angelsplus'). If not, no big deal because your tank will still cycle without any established media-it just will take alot of patience! Keep us updated! :)

I have an established 3g tank that's been up and running since september. Is that good enough or do I need to have aarger established tank?

It would help but i would not use media from it if you are risking throwing this tank into a cycle. You can clip a small piece or two from the existing filter in the small tank & add it to your new tanks filter if you want to give it a try. Otherwise, do a search on here for 'angelsplus' live filters & you should find a bunch of links for them. Hope this helps!

Sorry, missed that one! An airstone or bubble wand is not absolutely necessary but i think it helps with circulation & aeration. I found them super cheap at big chain stores (ie walmart) for a pump, tube, & wand/stone for under $15.

I would place it on the opposite furthest side from your filter intake (not under the filter intake).

Ok that works. If I wanted to put it in like one of those cute chests that opens or something like that would it defet the purpose?

Back
Top Bottom