Cycling for second-hand aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

My Dad is giving me his 130 L aquarium. At the moment he has gold fish in the tank (he is giving them away) and then he is going to drive it up to me (2.5 hours drive). I am going to turn it into a freshwater tropical tank.

I have asked him to keep water in the filter and any spare water in a bucket if he can so I can try keep some of the bacteria and I will re-fill it as soon as it arrives. Obviously most the water will be new so I was still planning on doing a cycle and monitoring the water quality.

I have two questions,
1) is the bacteria from the cold water aquarium going to die when heated?
2) will keeping some of the old water be better or should I just start from scratch?

Thanks

You may get some level of seeded media from the established filter but the old tank water really won't matter. You need to just start w water treated with prime or allowed to sit and gas off. You will need to got through an entire cycle process as if it is a new tank. I like the shrimp method. Which is a price of raw shrimp to get cycle going. Test water and wait until the cycle happens before adding fish. Be patient or you may loose some fish. Expect a month before fish. If its quicker than awesome. But be patient.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, thanks. I thought that might be the case.

Im happy to wait for the cycle, I dont like harming fish!
I dont no anything about the shrimp method though, I will have a read.

Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom