cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi and welcome - in my opinion and experience ( admittedly limited) the fastest way to cycle your tank is to

1) get pure ammonia
2) get an angels plus "active" sponge filter
3) get a cheap air pump
4) add All to your tank

I cycled my first tank in about 1.5 weeks doing this after months of trying traditional fishless cycle and am on currently track to do my second tank in same time frame! Good stuff.

Ps - listen to library girl and JLK - they got me through my first cycle ;)

Ponch said:
Ps - listen to library girl and JLK - they got me through my first cycle ;)

X2 I did listen to them as well and used the above steps and was able to successfully uncle my tank ! :thumbsup:

Tcal01 said:
Yes I have that link saved actually. It has helped me a lot. Doesn't traditional cycling kind of harm the fish as well, no matter how hardy they are

The old school method of fish in cycling exposes the fish to high levels of ammonia and nitrite during the cycle. It is possible to do a fish in cycle and not harm a single fish. It requires daily testing and water changes.

Oh wow OK. But addressing Ponch 's reply, is that All the same as the detergent kind, what did he / she mean by that

Tcal01 said:
Oh wow OK. But addressing Ponch 's reply, is that All the same as the detergent kind, what did he / she mean by that

I will post some links for you to read then you can make up your mind which way you wish to cycle. :) Both ways take the same amount of time (4-8 weeks usually). Fish in requires a bit more commitment because daily water changes will be needed. Fishless uses pure ammonia (used for cleaning) instead of the fish themselves as the ammonia source.

FISHLESS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

FISH IN
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Thanks for the help. I can assure you that I need all that I can get. One more thing tho, what is water hardness and is it something I need to consider if I'm using real plants?

Tcal01 said:

Sorry for any confusion! By "all" I just meant place items 1, 2 and 3 mentioned in my post into your tank! Have a look at the links mumma posted. The almost complete guide to fishless cycling is what I used as my primary guide to fishless cycling and it will provide you everything you need to know including how much ammonia, how often, etc. you will also need to get an API master test kit if you don't have one already. Happy New Year!!

OK. Also, I tested the Ph using both the regular Ph solution and the high range solution but they both game me.totally different results
I got 7.6 with the regular and 8.4 with the high range.

Your tank's PH is likely 8.4. If the normal PH test is the highest color then use the High range test and that's your PH. Which is fine :)

As for live plants, your lighting is more important than water hardness, etc. What lights do you have on the tank? If it's the standard florescent light that came with the tank you can try some low-light plants such as Anubias, Java Moss, Java Fern (there's probably more, those are the ones I have lol).

OK thanks, and yah I just have the standard lights that came with the tank. Thanks again everyone for all the help.

My tank is 20 in long and I was wondering if I could get a 24 in t5 fixture for it. I bought a t8 today but I would want to get the t5 just in case

Alright that's what I was think but I thought I would just check. thanks freshwaterfishjunkie

I have just finished a fishless cycle. Added fish two weeks ago, and all fish are healthy and happy. Recommend Librarygirl and momma, both great sources of advice. Your man in the LFS sounds a bit off the pace to me, had the same problem at mine, was told that fishless cycling doesn't work, and that it is a waste of time. Made a point of calling in and letting him know the successful outcome. He didn't believe me and told me to check my readings. Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks!, stick with it, and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom