Cycling help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I have been cycling my new tank for about a week now and I have just noticed some nitrites also. Anyway, my ammonia had dropped down to 1-0.5 ppm (at least that's what my API test kit said) I added a drop of ammonia (that oddly has usually brought the ammo to 4-5 ppm) I tested my water, and I have been seeing mixed test results, but mostly 0.25! I keep adding ammo and it won't change! What should I do?!?!?!

How ammonia have you added at the same time with the concentration reading staying the same?

Hello! I have been cycling my new tank for about a week now and I have just noticed some nitrites also. Anyway, my ammonia had dropped down to 1-0.5 ppm (at least that's what my API test kit said) I added a drop of ammonia (that oddly has usually brought the ammo to 4-5 ppm) I tested my water, and I have been seeing mixed test results, but mostly 0.25! I keep adding ammo and it won't change! What should I do?!?!?!

Maybe your adding it faster than it can spread through the water I'd be carefull with adding too much amonia

What size tank is this. Did you use any seeded material or is this started from scratch

You need to wait at least an hour for the ammo to spread throughout the tank. You are fishless cycling right (I hope so)? What size tank is this? Do 50% water change to bring the ammo down.

I have been adding 1 drop every 20 minutes… I tested again before I went to bed and it was higher than 8 ppm!

Yeah, 8ppm is a bit high and can stall your cycle. The 50% water change is a good suggestion. Also, the same amount of ammonia will bring the water from 0ppm to whatever ppm content you are shooting for every time.

You need to wait at least an hour for the ammo to spread throughout the tank. You are fishless cycling right (I hope so)? What size tank is this? Do 50% water change to bring the ammo down.

If it wasn't a fishless cycle before.. It is now :)

I think we get a definition of what "a drop" is, because if "a few drops" is getting you to 8ppm then your drops are much bigger that my drops.

If you have live plants they could be using your ammonia. Try keep it at four or as close to it as you can until you have high nitrates then drop ammonia to 2. One the 2 gets turned to nitrate in 24 hours try again and your done. I suggest a smaller drop lol

If you have live plants they could be using your ammonia. Try keep it at four or as close to it as you can until you have high nitrates then drop ammonia to 2. One the 2 gets turned to nitrate in 24 hours try again and your done. I suggest a smaller drop lol

Hahaha :lol:! Yeah I changed the water and added another "drop" and I hope it's ok now. (y)

How many gallons is the tank? We could tell u the proper amount of ammonia to add to get it to 4ppm for example in my 10 gallon it took 1.8ml to bring my ammo to 4ppm.

If you are using a 10% janitorial strength ammonia you should be dosing 1.75 - 1.9ml of ammonia I was dosing 1.9 but I also had nothing but the sponge filter and some ceramic rings in mine while I was cycling. It also helps to wait an hour after dosing to test so it has a chance to mix in the water good. Also if you crank your heater up to 84-86f and have a lot of surface movement it will help sped up the cycle.

If you are using a 10% janitorial strength ammonia you should be dosing 1.75 - 1.9ml of ammonia I was dosing 1.9 but I also had nothing but the sponge filter and some ceramic rings in mine while I was cycling. It also helps to wait an hour after dosing to test so it has a chance to mix in the water good. Also if you crank your heater up to 84-86f and have a lot of surface movement it will help sped up the cycle.

Yeah I'm using that brand ammonia from ace on my 10 gallon… how the heck does A DROP get the ammonia all the way the 4-5 ppm!?!?

I don't know I used the exact one and was dosing 1.9ml. What exactly do u mean by a drop? A splash or a literal drop like an API test kit drop.

Back
Top Bottom