Cycling help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since on 2/1 my nitrate being 20.0 nitrite 20.0 pH 7.6 ammonia 0.25 I did a 50% water change then put in a small pinch of food . Added my same 6 drops of ammonia. Day 2/2 ammonia 0 nitrate 20 nitrite 5.0 pH 7.6. Due to ammonia level I added ammonia.
Day 2/3 got home and readings 0.25 ammonia nitrate 160 nitrite 5.0 pH 7.6. Should I add ammonia or did I do something wrong. I read an article from some one on here did that said when levels are off the chart to do a 50% water change. Very confused was hoping almost done to get my betta and my tank is 5.5 gallons I started doing this 1/18/2015.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cycling can be very confusing. I think it would be best to just keep doing what you have been doing, and give it another week or so to sort itself out. It will be confusing and weird, and that's just how it is sometimes. I had that same problem, and I just waited a while longer and it fixed itself. I hope this helps, and I'm sorry if it doesn't.

Do you have a betta in there right now for cycling? If so, I don't think you should add ammonia.. Just let its poo do the work. Keep checking your water daily for any spikes and if one occurs, 30-50% water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No fish yet

I think you are doing the right thing, it's the tank's fault, not yours. Keep persevering! I hope it cycles soon.

How are you testing the water? Test strips can be extremely inaccurate. You'll want to use a liquid test kit such as API master kit. What did you originally dose the tank to for ammonia? You can do a 50% water change, it won't hurt anything. Only dose with ammonia when yours reaches zero. It sounds like you're on the right track, the nitrite-->nitrate conversion takes the longest so just keep doing what you're doing. Test, water change when nitrites are through the roof, dose with ammonia when you reach zero ppm.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Using API master kit. I started dosing the tank the 18th of January. I will retest before I go to bed as I usually do to see if what I added was enough. I keep a log with dates I test and results along with how many drops of ammonia added everything I do is documented so I have a reference and starting point.

Ammonia back up to 4.0 with second test after adding ammonia happy dance ;)

Celebrating came home today and the following happened: ammonia zero, nitrite 0.25, nitrate zero, pH 7.2. Hard pH about under 7.0 what do I do now so nervous.

I am so excited I can actually look at some

The trates and trites are quite high even for a fishless cycle. I've often heard that elevated trites can stall a cycle but not sure what the science is behind that. IMO I would do a PWC to bring both down.
Nitrite conversion is the frustrating part. I cannot remember if this was started from scratch but the total time can take 4-6 weeks or more. Seeded media can reduce this to a week or so.

It can be frustrating to say the least. First sign is your tank converting ammonia within 24 hours. Then comes the dreaded nitrites which take forever! If the nitrites are super high, do a water change and keep the ammonia at 2,no higher. Only add ammonia to keep it at 2. That will give the nitrites a chance to catch up. One day out of the blue, just when you want to quit, the nitrites will drop to zero. It does work! Only add ammonia to keep tank at 1-2 max and wait on nitrites. If they get off chart, do large ware change and wait 24 hours to add more ammonia. Do this til nitrites drop to zero. Ignore nitrates for now.

Back
Top Bottom