Cycling... I think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NLeigh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!

So here's my situation. Last week, after weeks of waiting for all our aquarium supplies that we ordered online to be delivered, we finally set up our tank. It's a (I think) 25-gal hexagon. We're running an undergravel filter with an air pump and a powerhead, along with a Penguin 150 biowheel power filter. We have plants: an Amazon sword plant, several stems of anachris and hornwort, and 3 banana plants. We also have a nice tall rock ornament in the center with about 5 little caves.

Saturday we bought our first fish, 3 glofish danios. Our plan was to fish-in cycle with these fish, since a) I know they're hardy fish, and b) my daughters, especially my younger one, fell in love with them.

So I've been dutifully testing the water daily, sometimes twice a day because I'm a worrywart, lol. The odd thing is that my test results have turned out *exactly* the same for 3 straight days. My ammonia is at 0.25 mg/L, nitrites at <0.3 mg/L, and nitrates... well, the card says bright yellow is 0, light orange is 5 mg/L, and the color in my test tube is always slightly orangeish yellow rather than pure yellow, so I'm not totally sure the nitrates are at 0, but they certainly don't appear to be at 5, either.

I'm just wondering... what's happening? I was expecting a higher spike of ammonia by now. Could it be that there's already enough BBs in my tank to be keeping the ammonia low? The only two reasons I can imagine that this could be the case is a) the plants (maybe they arrived with BBs already on them?) and/or b) the biowheel filter. We did use it for the saltwater tank we kept for a couple of months last year, before the tank crashed because we didn't really know what we were doing (ouch, that one still stings). I didn't want to assume there was any worthwhile bacteria on the biowheel, but... maybe there is?

I did a water change yesterday, I think that's the only one we've done since we put the fish in. I'm planning to do another one later this morning. What do y'all think? Is this tank cycling or is it already mostly cycled?

Thanks!

I hope you changed out the filter media and totally cleaned out the filter otherwise that can pose a long term issue introducing SW to FW.

Back to the primary question, it may take a few days for the ammo to show up in measurable quantities and for sure a few days if not weeks for the nitrates to show up. Just keep doing your water changes and keep ammo and trites low and you'll see the trates in a few weeks, the time for BB to colonize can vary. Good luck.

Yep, filter media was changed out, and I not only scrubbed down the filter, but I also rinsed it with vinegar just to make sure, before adding new media & putting it in the tank.

Okay, thanks. I was convinced that the ammonia spikes would show up immediately, but now that I know it could take a while I am more than willing to be patient. Good to know. Thanks!

Is this tank cycling or is it already mostly cycled?

The only ammonia source you have is the small danios? Your tank is nowhere near cycled. You've only just begun and the process will likely take 4-6 weeks to complete.

Lol, good point! That's what my husband keeps reminding me, and I keep forgetting. Well, I will continue to enjoy my hilarious glofish for the next several weeks, then, while waiting for the tank to cycle. (y)

With a few danios in a tank of that size it'll take a bit longer for ammonia to start increasing but it'll happen. The good thing is that you may be able to go a bit longer between water changes rather than doing them daily. Just test the water daily, do water changes any time ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25 and be patient. It'll happen but it takes some time. If you can get some seeded filter media from a healthy established tank it'll speed things up.

Thanks, Librarygirl. I don't mind waiting (I don't really trust any place around here to provide me with HEALTHY seeded media, lol), but now I know better about how long I might have to wait.

And it's good to know I might not necessarily need to change the water daily. I will continue testing daily, it's already part of my morning routine and I look forward to it. Sometimes I'm even helped by my older daughter, who loves watching the water change colors. :)

Back
Top Bottom