cycling my filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I command you for keeping it natural. As far as I'm concerned, water changes are always beneficial, maybe a partial should be enough every couple of days or so till things stabilize a little. With two plattys you shouldn't have too much problem.
I just checked out your filter and I think it's ok for your tank, I'm wondering if you are using carbon?

sorry if this is stupid. but carbon for what?
i dont know nothing about using carbon.
i was doing changes about every 5th day. so ill try doing 20% every other day?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is not stupid. Some people like putting carbon in their filter as part of their filter media, but if you are not using it, then its fine. I didn't mean to confuse you. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Enjoy the hobby!

It is not stupid. Some people like putting carbon in their filter as part of their filter media, but if you are not using it, then its fine. I didn't mean to confuse you. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Enjoy the hobby!

oh ok. thanks. i didnt know that.
mine is just a sponge. ill continue trying. :)

What s the water temperature?

the temperature should be room temperature. i havent got a tropical tank. i brought these fish as temperate. so im just cold water atm.

Well, here s the thing about temperature......it helps the cycle if it s warm. For a fishless cycle that means around 85 degrees. So if I were you, I d research the high range temp s for the fish you have & keep the tank at ,for instance, 78 to 80 degrees.

Well, here s the thing about temperature......it helps the cycle if it s warm. For a fishless cycle that means around 85 degrees. So if I were you, I d research the high range temp s for the fish you have & keep the tank at ,for instance, 78 to 80 degrees.

oh ok. thanks for the tip. i got two platties so ill have a read up on it. and give it a shot. :)

This is a mistake many beginners make, to have squeaky clean filter. A filter that has not even cycled should not be cleaned, is almost like reversing the process. Eventually yes, it has to be cleaned, but cleaning it just for the sake of cleaning it, I don't recommend it, the water flow should be an indicator whether it needs cleaning or not.

We are trying to solve the OP issue as to why his tank hasn't cycled yet and the only clue he's giving us is how often the filter is cleaned, of course there could be other issues like the filter being too small, over feeding etc.

What would I know after 30 years working with fish? lol.

If water flow slows down as an indicator that the filter needs rinsing, then the filter may already be compromised. As I said, the more build up of dirt, the less room for bacteria. Bacteria will be resident in vast numbers, it would be impossible to lose them all when rinsing. I suggested rinsing the sponge, not cleaning it to 'squeaky clean', which would suggest total disinfection.

The bacteria adhere very strongly to every surface of the sponge. Dirt collecting in the sponge will reduce flow through the sponge, which may create 'dead' areas where bacteria die from lack of oxygen. Removing detritus by rinsing in aquarium water increases the available surface area and flow of oxygen. I do this every week with many sponge filters at work.

Just out of interest, I have just tested ammonia in one of my small stock tanks (I am at work).

The tank is currently holding 18 litres of water containing 20 albino paradise fish. The tank is filtered with the aforementioned home made sponge filter constructed from a length of 20mm pipe with holes drilled along its length and an elbow at the top, over which is pushed a section of car washing sponge from Asda (Walmart to you guys from USA). The fish have been resident in this tank now for approximately 2 1/2 weeks.

Ammonia is reading between 0.05 and 0.1ppm NH4 (the actual toxic proportion of unionised ammonia, i.e. NH3, will be considerably lower due to pH and temperature). These sponges are thoroughly rinsed in tank water once every one or two weeks, depending on stock level.

My message to the OP is this - your filter should be more than adequate for your water volume and current stocking. If your ammonia reading is and has been for some time 1ppm, then maybe this isn't a problem?? Often fish can tolerate much poorer conditions than we consider acceptable.

1ppm NH4 at pH 8.2 and assumed temp of 24C is 0.076 NH3.

At your pH, this level COULD be lethal to many fish if it stays the same for 4 days or more (Depending on temperature). Yours hasn't changed for weeks! Please let me know the temperature of your tank.

Perhaps the Pets at Home tests are not accurate.

Just out of interest, I have just tested ammonia in one of my small stock tanks (I am at work).

The tank is currently holding 18 litres of water containing 20 albino paradise fish. The tank is filtered with the aforementioned home made sponge filter constructed from a length of 20mm pipe with holes drilled along its length and an elbow at the top, over which is pushed a section of car washing sponge from Asda (Walmart to you guys from USA). The fish have been resident in this tank now for approximately 2 1/2 weeks.

Ammonia is reading between 0.05 and 0.1ppm NH4 (the actual toxic proportion of unionised ammonia, i.e. NH3, will be considerably lower due to pH and temperature). These sponges are thoroughly rinsed in tank water once every one or two weeks, depending on stock level.

My message to the OP is this - your filter should be more than adequate for your water volume and current stocking. If your ammonia reading is and has been for some time 1ppm, then maybe this isn't a problem?? Often fish can tolerate much poorer conditions than we consider acceptable.

1ppm NH4 at pH 8.2 and assumed temp of 24C is 0.076 NH3.

At your pH, this level COULD be lethal to many fish if it stays the same for 4 days or more (Depending on temperature). Yours hasn't changed for weeks! Please let me know the temperature of your tank.

Perhaps the Pets at Home tests are not accurate.
thankyou for your reply. my platties are fine. i was gutted my two white clouds died though. :'(
i havent got a heater in my tank. ill have to get a thermometer and let you know as ive never tested the temperature. i dont put cold water in when i do my water changes though. i add a little bit of warm so its about room temperature i guess.
i think im going to start testing my own water. im going to order a api fresh water testing kit.
i only have a nitrite and ammonia testing kit at the moment.

i did a 25% water change yesterday . i did a test today for ammonia and nitrite. (because thats all i have at the moment). my ammonia was 0.5 and nitrite was 2.0. it doesnt seem to be improving. :( i dont no what to do. this has taken nearly 3months and it still isnt right. they even replaced my filter with the same one. i took the sponge out my old one and put it in the new one.

Is that your tank on your avatar? Am I seeing blue gravel? I remember years ago reading about coloured gravel and the dyes used having a negative effect on nitrifying bacteria. Can't remember all the ins and outs, but might be worth investigation (assuming you have colored gravel, that is). I used to sell.multicoloured gravel when I was in pet retail and it was almost impossible to get it clean - it alwaysmade the water cloudy!

I would buy a heater before doing anything else. As it was mentioned, a steady 78-80f is crucial. For your size tank, a heater is not expensive.

Is that your tank on your avatar? Am I seeing blue gravel? I remember years ago reading about coloured gravel and the dyes used having a negative effect on nitrifying bacteria. Can't remember all the ins and outs, but might be worth investigation (assuming you have colored gravel, that is). I used to sell.multicoloured gravel when I was in pet retail and it was almost impossible to get it clean - it alwaysmade the water cloudy!

yeah. my gravel is purple and blue. what would you recommend?

I would buy a heater before doing anything else. As it was mentioned, a steady 78-80f is crucial. For your size tank, a heater is not expensive.

thanks Gilpi. i am investing in one tomorrow hopefully. :)

thanks Gilpi. i am investing in one tomorrow hopefully. :)

I know there's lots of good advice here but sometimes too much information can get confusing for a newcomer.
The best advice I can give you is not to get too caught up with water parameters, test kits and such, they do help but I feel is better to take a step back and go to the basics, water quality, water changes, temperature and filtration.
Unless your tap water has some kind of freakish readings or problems, I would not fret over PH so much. I grow discuss, angels and have fish older than many of my grandkids, my fish have been kept with tap water that has a pH of 8.
Patience too plays a big role here. You'll be ok.
Good luck!

I know there's lots of good advice here but sometimes too much information can get confusing for a newcomer.
The best advice I can give you is not to get too caught up with water parameters, test kits and such, they do help but I feel is better to take a step back and go to the basics, water quality, water changes, temperature and filtration.
Unless your tap water has some kind of freakish readings or problems, I would not fret over PH so much. I grow discuss, angels and have fish older than many of my grandkids, my fish have been kept with tap water that has a pH of 8.
Patience too plays a big role here. You'll be ok.
Good luck!

hi gipi. i got a heater today and thermometer. i brought a decent heater . it cost me £28. my current water temperature is 24°c. ive set the heater to 26°c.
i went to a proper aquarium shop, and the man was very helpful. he told me pets at home hasnt been giving me the correct advice and he said i needed a heater too.

see when i do a water changr now. do i use warm water? im going to add neon tetras when my water is correct.

I have followed this thread a bit but it's a while since I read the beginning, so forgive me if this question has already been answered.
Op, have you always used a dechlorinator/water conditioner when doing a water change?

I have followed this thread a bit but it's a while since I read the beginning, so forgive me if this question has already been answered.
Op, have you always used a dechlorinator/water conditioner when doing a water change?

yes. i have been using tap safe that i brought from pets at home. but im not going to use it anymore. i brought tetras aquasafe.

Back
Top Bottom