cycling ?. Please answer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgross15656

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added a couple of raw shrimp a few days ago and not much increase in ammonia yet ( .25). Just for fun, I measured the ammonia in my daughter's little tank (she has 2 feeder goldfish in it), and it is off the charts. Could I use some of the water from her tank to help me out a little or could I be introducing any bad stuff from it?
I was thinking that it sounded like a brilliant idea, any thoughts?

Did you use cured live rock and/or live sand when you set your tank up? If so, you may never see a big ammonia spike through the cycle. I kept a monster shrimp in mine for a week and hardly ever saw any ammonia/nitrItes.

I wouldn't add freshwater, it can lower your SG especially if your trying to get your water Parameters stabel... But it might not matter right now your in a cycle process How big it your tank? Depending on the size of your tank you might need more unless it less than 55g you would only need one Raw Shrimp.....

its a 75 gallon, and yes, I have 4o lbs live rock and 60 lbs live sand in it. Do I need my ammonia to hit a certain parameter, or is it just an increase then a decrease I am looking for? 3 days after I set up my tank ( no raw shrimp yet), I took a reading and the ammonia was .25 and everything else was 0. Readings since then were all 0.

What you want to see is a spike in Ammonia. It doesn't have to be a high number. Following the ammonia spike you will see it drop off and a rise in NitrItes. Eventually ammonia will hit 0 and nitrites will also drop to 0. When those two reach 0 you should see a higher number for your NitrAtes. It is at this point that you are ready to start doing PWCs and adding your cleaning crew.

What you want to see is a spike in Ammonia. It doesn't have to be a high number. Following the ammonia spike you will see it drop off and a rise in NitrItes. Eventually ammonia will hit 0 and nitrites will also drop to 0. When those two reach 0 you should see a higher number for your NitrAtes. It is at this point that you are ready to start doing PWCs and adding your cleaning crew.

And that's the honest to god truth....:D

Regarding adding water from the goldfish tank... the bacteria in FW and SW tanks are totally different beasts. Adding FW bacteria in a SW tank will do no good.

I could be wrong, but I think the OP was looking more to use the fw as an ammonia source. Kurt does bring up a valid point about the two different types of bacteria.
It sounds like the goldfish tank needs a PWC.....

one step ahead of you, roka64, I did a PWC right after! Though I have to admit, I was gritting my teeth while dumping all that ammonia-laden water!
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Back
Top Bottom