Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, okay been cycling my 100gal Malawi tank for about 5 weeks now, got some substrate and a little filter mat from a mate to help get things going.

Readings, API test kits:

Ammo: less than 0.1 ppm

Nitrite: Nitrites between 2-5 ppm (hard to distinguish the colours as they are so close)

Nitrate: 10 ppm

My ammonia reading is almost 0 but the nitrite has maintained at about 2-5ppm for a week or so and nitrate is steady at 10. I have been doing PWC every second day and my fish are fine, no probs with them what so ever (can’t walk into a shop in Australia to buy pure ammonia, it’s illegal, hence the fish).

How long does it normally take for the nitrites to get down to 0 and when will I wake up to a crystal clear aquarium lol? I have had several aquariums in the past and it never took this long for the nitrites to drop.

Filter is a 2000 L/H wet dry trickle in the hood, aquaone aquarium.

Cheers guys :p

Jason7894561230 said:
It is almost finished now. you just have to wait for the nitrites to go down and the NitrAtes to go up

If nitrAtes are already at ten, then isn't it possible and desirable that they stay there, and don't go up much more. I am aware that the regular range is twenty ppm and below.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

If nitrAtes are already at ten, then isn't it possible and desirable that they stay there, and don't go up much more. I am aware that the regular range is twenty ppm and below.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I,m pretty happy with the nitrates, they are mainly there due to the substrate and filter mat I got from my mate to help the system out. I am just waiting for the nitrites to drop and then I should see a rise in nitrates which will indicate that I am cycled yay!. That will mean that my filter (not my mates subrstrate) is doing the work. So close I can feel it in my bones :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom