Cycling question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im getting a 20 g tank on Monday and I was wondering if I could take the old filter from my established 10 g and put it on the 20g to instantly cycle it? And if I could and my 5 fish ( 1guppy, 1 bronze Corey, and 3 black widow tetras) into the tank and if they will be happy and healthy ?

Yes that would help the cycle establish in that tank. You will still need to monitor ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and do PWCs accordingly.

If it were me I would test daily for a week or so until I was sure all was well and do water changes depending on test results. then test weekly and a 50% change weekly.

As soon as you put the fish in. If ammonia or nitrite gets to .25 then do a pwc.

Great and then can I put the new filter I'm getting in my 5g (3 tanks) and let it build up bb and if so how long should I leave it in ? And after cycle how long should I wait to introduce 6 neons and a dwarf gourami ? And should I add them all at once or the gourami and three neons then wait them 3 neons?

Yes. Leave the new filter in the established tank for a week to build bb. Adding the fish slowly will allow your bb to keep up. If it was me I would add the fish slowly over time.soon as you put the seeded filter in the new tank start adding fish.

So if I get the filter now I can put it in my ten gal and on Monday then add the guppy then the next day the Cory then the 3 black w tetras and then on Friday get the new fish put the gourami and 2 tetras in the 20 g and then the 4 neons in later or will it be ok to add them all at once ?

Continuing on pwc's of 25% everyday

Just bought the filter it's a marina slim filter s10 it's in my old tank know getting seeded

Yes as long as you keep up PWCs. Also you should test every day for the first week.

That is why you test. Adding fish slower is better. You can do it the way you want to but it might be more work.

Cycling Question

Im getting a 20 g tank on Monday and I was wondering if I could take the old filter from my established 10 g and put it on the 20g to instantly cycle it? And if I could and my 5 fish ( 1guppy, 1 bronze Corey, and 3 black widow tetras) into the tank and if they will be happy and healthy ?

Hello Shane...

Your 20 G will cycle instantly. But, you'll still not have enough beneficial bacteria from your 10 G to support a well stocked 20 G. Your five fish were fine in the 10 G, so should do as well in the larger tank, even better because you have twice as much water to dilute the wastes.

If you decide to add more fish to the 20, then you can add a few small ones, but test the water chemistry daily and change 25 percent of the water in the tank if you start to see a trace of ammonia or nitrites in the water sample, you know the cycling drill.

Essentially, you'll need to grow your bacteria to accomodate the added waste more fish will make.

B

Hey thanks for all the replies is it ok if I add the five with the old filter and new in the 20g and after a week put in 6 neons and a dwarf gourami ? Or is that to much

Hey thanks for all the replies is it ok if I add the five with the old filter and new in the 20g and after a week put in 6 neons and a dwarf gourami ? Or is that to much

You could, to be safe I'd go slower. Add the old filter and the new filter to the new tank (or if you can just fit the filter media into the new filter and then fill the rest up with new filter media that would work too) and your current fish. Then test for a few days but I don't foresee any issues. Then either add the Neons or the DG, test daily for at least a week and do any water changes if toxins spike. Then once ammonia and nitrite remain at 0 on their own for at least a week (and assuming your new and current fish stay healthy) you can add the remaining fish and then test again, etc.

Adding Fish

Shane...

Your ammonia and nitrites must consistently read "0" before it's safe to add any fish. If after several tests, your ammonia and nitrites still read "0", then you can add a few fish. With a small tank, I'd add a couple of the small fish and the large one and resume the testing routine. It may only be short time before you can add the rest.

Patience is good here.

B

Back
Top Bottom