cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's actually normal to get a variety of algae blooms during and after the cycle. You can get them for several months after the fact. It really depends on what the water source was, foods used, additives or the initial items used in the set up. All completely normal. Once the fuel sources are burned up, the algaes will typically crash. Green algaes are primarily the result of PO4. While you may not be able to detect it, there is always a small amount of organic phosphates the test kit will not register. Basically you will always have some form of algae, it just depends on how severe.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, kudos. your advise i very beneficial to me. I have had my tank since Feb, and it was cycled, so i thought. I stocked it with fish and had headaches ever since. They all died. I just have inverts now. I also have a QT tank... it was a smart buy. The other day i checked the ammonia in my 65 gal display tank and it was .25.. today it was back to 0. i dont get it. I changed my filet pads and cleaned the one in my overflow on sunday 4/25 , maybe i got rid of to much bacteria??
But what i am going to do is, and please tell me if im wrong. ... Im going to keep fish out of it for a month... today i plan on getting 15-20 lbs of LR to add to my already existing 10 lbs. I assume that the ammonia WILL spike again due to the LR. So in a month hopefully i should be good to go, provided my QT tank is stable as well.
My 12 gal qt tank has an ammonia of .50. I have a small piece of LR in it currently, i filled it with the water from my display tank. I assume that this has to go through a cyceling period as well? is there anything i can do to speed it up? or will a month be sufficient? and should i add a grouper or damsel to it like i did with my main tank?

snowdude said:
The other day i checked the ammonia in my 65 gal display tank and it was .25.. today it was back to 0. i dont get it. I changed my filet pads and cleaned the one in my overflow on sunday 4/25 , maybe i got rid of to much bacteria??
Most likely was too much too fast. Next time when doing the filters, if cleaning use SW removed from the tank as apposed to FW. It will preserve a majority of the bacteria reducing water quality issues. If you are in need of replacing some, only change one filter pad a week and just rinse the other(s) as above. As you add more and more rock, I would suggest removing some of the filter pads material as well. You want the LR to do a majority of the work.

But what i am going to do is, and please tell me if im wrong. ... Im going to keep fish out of it for a month... today i plan on getting 15-20 lbs of LR to add to my already existing 10 lbs. I assume that the ammonia WILL spike again due to the LR. So in a month hopefully i should be good to go, provided my QT tank is stable as well.
Sounds fine but if you can afford it I would get twice as much rock if not more. I would also suggest dry base rock as a cost alternative. Any rock added after the tank has cycled has the potential to damage the water quality, it just depends on the amount of die off. Water changes will help keep it to a minimum. If you are unsure of what caused the fish fatalities, I'd go for a 6 week fallow period to be safe.

My 12 gal qt tank has an ammonia of .50. I have a small piece of LR in it currently, i filled it with the water from my display tank. I assume that this has to go through a cyceling period as well? is there anything i can do to speed it up? or will a month be sufficient? and should i add a grouper or damsel to it like i did with my main tank?
When using LR to cycle a tank you rarely need anything to increase the ammonia. The die off from the rock will do it well enough. If purchasing well cured LR, a small piece of raw shrimp is the best and safest route. Fish aren't necessary and in fact not advised. Basically what you need is something that creates waste and in turn produces ammonia. The rock and/or shrimp will do that.

I would honestly suggest you remove the rock from the QT unless it's already been affected by medication. In most all cases it will cause more problems than it solves. All you need is enough hard surface areas for the bacteria. That can be better accomplished using inert plastics like PVC piping.

The only way to speed up the cycle is to use filter material from the main tank if it where also properly cycled. Since both are basically in the same shape (and the main may be infected/infested), there's not much you can do unless you know someone that can help you out locally. Since the main tank must sit fallow for awhile, you still have a few weeks time before the QT could really be used anyway.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom