Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Advent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I understand the importance of cycling an aquarium. However would it be a problem if I put 3 fancy guppies in a 20 gal tank with nothing else (no plants, no substrate,...). I would use a large sponge filter which has not been cycled. Obviously ammonia would build up with fish waste, uneaten food. But, I would be changing the water out twice per week. So before ammonia can build up, I would already be changing the water. I could see it being a problem if I had say 20 guppies.

No people do fish in cycles all the time. I just finish one about a month ago. But you may have to do more water changes and get a testing kit.

No people do fish in cycles all the time. I just finish one about a month ago. But you may have to do more water changes and get a testing kit.

I agree....I just finished a fish-in on my 55 and now doing a fish in with 2 guppies in a 5g; however, I have to change water everyday sometimes 2x morning and night..trites can get off chart before nightfall and I want them to make it through the night...so far so good

I agree....I just finished a fish-in on my 55 and now doing a fish in with 2 guppies in a 5g; however, I have to change water everyday sometimes 2x morning and night..trites can get off chart before nightfall and I want them to make it through the night...so far so good
Did you o a daily water change on the 55 gal?

Did you o a daily water change on the 55 gal?

Oh yes I had no choice....for about 2-4 weeks I had to do them everyday...I did not mind though...a couple times I had to do 2x's a day...I had 6 Tb's 1rts, 3 gourami's and 1 rubberlip pleco as the fish

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom