Cycling question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Not Sure

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a 125g tank a week ago. Set it up and put fish in the next day to do a fish in cycle. :whistle: So its been a week and my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all stil read 0? Has it not started yet?

I got a 125g tank a week ago. Set it up and put fish in the next day to do a fish in cycle. :whistle: So its been a week and my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all stil read 0? Has it not started yet?

It will take some time for the bio load to "shock" the water. Be ready for water changes and a lot of them! get a API test kit that with patience and water changes will be your best friend. It can be done.

good luck and here's a good read.
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Thanks Convict2161! I have a API test kit and have been testing everyday waiting for some change. I think ill be able to work my way trough it when it gets here. Clearly I have no patience!

+1. How many fish did you put in, and what kind? 125g is quite a water volume, so it can take a decent amount of time for ammonia to build up enough to begin your cycle.

+1. How many fish did you put in, and what kind? 125g is quite a water volume, so it can take a decent amount of time for ammonia to build up enough to begin your cycle.

This would be my question as well. Also for the API kit, I'm assuming you're adding drops from both ammonia bottles into the tube and in the correct order?

You're about to learn the true meaning of the word "patience"....... 17 little Zebras in a 125 is gonna take a while to build the ammonia needed, but it'll happen...... don't add any more fish, though!!
Just remember to keep your ammo & nitrites below 0.25ppm. With that water volume & bioload, changes are likely going to happen slower than normal, but the upside of that is you're probably not going to have to worry about overnight spikes. Before learning about fishless cycling, I used 4 bleeding heart tetras to cycle my 29g, and that took almost 2 months (but they're still kickin'!!)...... so don't be surprised or too concerned if it takes longer than that.

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello Not...

Great decision to get a large tank! Fish in cycling is efficient and safe for fish if you carefully monitor the water chemistry. Now, 125 Gs is a lot of water and will dilute toxins in the water.

Test the water for ammonia and nitrite. After several daily tests, if you have no trace of either, then add some hardy fish like Danios, Fancy Guppies, White Clouds, or Platys. Resume testing daily and if a test shows a trace of the above toxins, then change out a quarter of the tank water. This water change will remove enough of the toxins to get the water back into the safe zone for the fish.

I'd add some floating plants like Anacharis (Waterweed) and Pennywort. These are great natural water filters and a lot of plants make your fish feel more at home.

Have fun!

B

Thanks guys! I'll keep testing and waiting! I havent added more fish but they spawn every morning and now there are fry everywhere!!!!!!!! They eat most of them but there are so many hiding places.

Ok all tests are still 0. But my little guys gills are turning red from what i can find from other posts i need to add salt? I have lots of air bubbles they play in they are still spawning in the am and VVVEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYYYY active :). So the only thing i can find is they need salt. Does this sound right? Or could it be something else?

Back
Top Bottom