Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiratz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my second tank and my first tank cycled pretty fine and really fast. This tank, however, has taken 4 weeks. No matter how much ammonia I add it all goes down to 0 in a matter of a day while nitrites are extremely high and nitrates are slightly there but not very noticeable. Been like this for a few days now. Should I add a larger dose of ammonia?

Hello Kir...

You can instantly cycle the new tank by taking half the media from your established tank and putting it into the filter of the new one. Replace the media you took and the beneficial bacteria will repopulate that tank in a day or two. As for the new tank, add fish slowly and test the water to make sure the bacteria you transferred is working.

B

Kir...

If you're keeping a basic tank with fish from the local store and not trying to breed rare species, the pH isn't that important. What is important, is keeping a steady pH. Your tap has a high mineral content which isn't bad. Once the fish are in, keep the chemistry stable with large, weekly water changes. Success in this hobby is mostly about keeping the tank water clear of dissolved fish waste. Change most of the water weekly and you'll have few, if any tank problems.

B

The reason pH is raised is not for the live stock but for the bacteria. For nitrosomas and nitrobactor, a pH between 7.3-8.0 is ideal. Above and below this range results in slower growth. Under 6.0 nitrification may stop altogether.

Back
Top Bottom