Cycling questions: 55gal move for an old goldie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollipops

Aquarium Advice Regular
I inherited an old common goldfish who had been living in a 10gal ever since the owner had won him at a fair, and have since moved him to a 55gal

I can't get his ammonia or nitrite to 0... it's always a bit over - closer to 0.25 ppm... I do really frequent water changes nitrates are usually close to 0.

Is there something wrong? It bugs me that I can't get the levels to 0ppm... I know that at least one of the test tubes is a bit stained orange-ish...

Input?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the tank story:

He's in his new 55gal:
  • Filter is an AquaClear 110, with the brand's sponge filter and (potentially pointless?) charcoal.
  • For biomedia, I'm using BioHome Ultimate with bio-starter balls.
  • Substrate is new, washed 30-mesh sand from Home Depot.

Before, in his old 10gal:
  • I stuffed his old Aqueon QuietFlow10 with as many pieces of the BioHome that I could fit hoping maybe some bacteria would move in.
  • On the regular, I do small-ish water changes nearly daily: approximately 10% a day, or at the most 50% if it's been a while.
  • I condition my water with SeaChem Prime
  • His water in the 10 gallon tested at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and low nitrates.
  • I packaged ALL his gravel into the ends of nylon stockings that had never seen detergent, cut it into two packages, and tied them off.

After several days of the 55gal running, I made the move...

I moved all of his gravel, his plants, his few decorative stones, AND his filter to the new 55gal. I moved the pieces of BioHome from the Aqueon filter to the AquaClear in hopes of facilitating bacterial growth there...

Then I moved him. No net :) used a big specimen container so he didn't even notice :whistle: It was hilarious; it took him a while to realize that he didn't have to turn around after swimming forward farther than a foot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm worried that maybe his tank's not cycled? And that his levels are gonna suddenly jump! I've been checking twice a day... He's never had high nitrates, even in his old tank (except when I first got him and his water was orange...) but maybe it's because I compulsively change his water? :\ should I STOP doing such frequent changes, or change smaller amounts to see where his levels go? Maybe I'm just MASKING the fact that his tank isn't cycled, and stunting the cycling by changing water too frequently...

Checked the levels again today:
Ammonia: still 0.25ppm
Nitirite: still 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: is climbing; closing in on 5ppm!

I take it this means his tank IS cycled... I'll wait a little longer with NO water change to see if ammonia and nitrite stay constant while nitrates climb.

What I HAVEN'T done, is tested my tap water... I wonder if I'd all be 0's...

yes the tank looks like its cycled Mabey try and do a %50 water changed to see what happens there or replace some of the filter media not all but some with new media

yes the tank looks like its cycled Mabey try and do a %50 water changed to see what happens there or replace some of the filter media not all but some with new media

thanks. It's really assuring to know the numbers look normal!!!

I went the day without doing a water to see if levels changed.... photo evidence from today in 3 different lighting situations shows only a bit of increase in nitrate
111046-albums14678-picture71283.html

111046-albums14678-picture71281.html

111046-albums14678-picture71282.html

Trying to fix the links from the previous post...
If using a non-mobile device browser then the links should work.
If using mobile device browser (e.g. - via your smart phone) the links will take you to a post from 2009. Not sure why this is happening. In that case, switch to Web View mode and then click on the links.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/111046-albums14678-picture71283.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/111046-albums14678-picture71281.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/111046-albums14678-picture71282.html

Last edited:
Checked the levels again today:
Ammonia: still 0.25ppm
Nitirite: still 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: is climbing; closing in on 5ppm!

I take it this means his tank IS cycled... I'll wait a little longer with NO water change to see if ammonia and nitrite stay constant while nitrates climb.

What I HAVEN'T done, is tested my tap water... I wonder if I'd all be 0's...

Cycled tank should be 0 on ammonia and nitrite. Getting nitrates says getting close but not there yet imo.

Keep doing 50% water changes daily. Doing that means the cycle takes longer than if you did no changes at all, but your fish will thank you for it. I know it is frustrating, but in the end it will hit zero. Luckily 55 gallon tanks are more stable than 10 gallons.

Also, I applaud you on taking in this fish and giving him/her the tank he/she deserves. The one thing on here that upsets me so much is when people try to cram fish into small tanks, or other people on here giving terrible advice to others saying it is okay to put big fish in small tanks. So, if you have any questions that I can help with in the future, please do not hesitate to PM me, or ask on here. I will make sure to go out of my way to help you. I have a lot of respect for people like you wanting to give animals a better life, even if they are just fish.

Keep doing 50% water changes daily. Doing that means the cycle takes longer than if you did no changes at all, but your fish will thank you for it. I know it is frustrating, but in the end it will hit zero. Luckily 55 gallon tanks are more stable than 10 gallons.

Also, I applaud you on taking in this fish and giving him/her the tank he/she deserves. The one thing on here that upsets me so much is when people try to cram fish into small tanks, or other people on here giving terrible advice to others saying it is okay to put big fish in small tanks. So, if you have any questions that I can help with in the future, please do not hesitate to PM me, or ask on here. I will make sure to go out of my way to help you. I have a lot of respect for people like you wanting to give animals a better life, even if they are just fish.

Aw thanks... I really appreciate that. I get a lot of people who seems to scoff at my efforts because he's "just a goldfish" but I don't see why that would make him any less deserving than a tropical fish or a fancy fish.

I love the fact that he can live to be a ripe old age... he's probably only 5 or 6, and I want him to live a long, healthy, happy life with me!

Do you have a gravel vacuum? Goldies make a TON of waste which could be hiding in the substrate.

Do you have a gravel vacuum? Goldies make a TON of waste which could be hiding in the substrate.

I changed him to 30 mesh sand so that I can SEE every piece of poop and vaccum it up B) I give the sand a once over fairly often, for anything I can't see

Back
Top Bottom