Cycling Shrimp tank (Sort of)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone! I posted this before in the invert forum, but I think it belongs more in this one. So I have a 10 gallon tank currently hosting nothing but plants, and has only had plants in it for maybe... a year now? Before it had quite a few fish, I think 8 neons or so. However, those have since been moved to a bigger tank, but the tank was fully cycled beforehand. I am thinking about making the tank into a shrimp tank, but I would replace the white sand with black sand.
My questions are:

Is the tank currently ready to house shrimp? With no other cycling?

I am thinking about buying maybe 10-15 shrimp to the tank and letting them breed. Is this a good plan?

This is my first shrimp tank, so go easy guys!

I would say, just ot be safe that your tank needs to be recycled. I would suggest taking a look here at how to properly cycle a tank (this is assuming I read this properly in that the only living things for a long period of time in this tank is plants)

Yeah, most likely it needs to be recycled. Just take the filter and add it to your larger tank for a few weeks, then put it back in the 10g a day or two before you get the shrimp. :)

Oh, and in the meantime, run a small airstone or sponge filter in the 10g to keep circulation since you have plants in there. Good luck!

Yeah, most likely it needs to be recycled. Just take the filter and add it to your larger tank for a few weeks, then put it back in the 10g a day or two before you get the shrimp. :)

Oh, and in the meantime, run a small airstone or sponge filter in the 10g to keep circulation since you have plants in there. Good luck!

This is a really good idea!! I have the filter in my larger tank now. Would this method work for cycling other filters? I recently got a new 20 long that hasn't been cycled yet. Thanks!

This is a really good idea!! I have the filter in my larger tank now. Would this method work for cycling other filters? I recently got a new 20 long that hasn't been cycled yet. Thanks!
That method will help, but it wont support large bio loads right out of rhe gate.

That method will help, but it wont support large bio loads right out of rhe gate.

I currently have a double sponge filter in the 45 gal, and it has been inside for almost a year and a half. When the time comes could I take that out and use it as a filter for the 10g(Shrimp tank)? Or would it not be enough/ take too many bacteria out of the 45?

For the shrimp it should be fine.

You will always have to check for a mini cycle when you remove filter media, but i doubt it will be enough to make a difference in your display tank.

Back
Top Bottom