Cycling tank already at all 0’s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueishplains

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I am completely new to all of this. Yesterday, well two days ago at the time of writing this I tested my tap water and ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites were all at 0. I have a dechlorinator and seachem stability, but I’m so confused.

I have no idea how to cycle from here, other people I’ve asked suggested I cycle still but do I continue like normal? I thought all 3 of those being at 0 was perfect lol My PH is also at 7 if that adds anything. Ty in advance because I am very confused ?

I may be overlooking something as well, which would sound like me. I am by no means against being corrected because I want to learn!

Attachments

• A0600A2E-E81D-40A7-B6A1-BBABFC6D0EE4.jpg
    A0600A2E-E81D-40A7-B6A1-BBABFC6D0EE4.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 20
All you are doing is testing tap water with water conditioner in it. Of course all your water parameters will show 0. Let it sit another 3 months and thats all you will see.

For water to show anything it needs to have some waste go in the tank. Either fish waste from adding fish or ammonia if you are doing a fishless cycle.

It doesnt sound like you know anything about the nitrogen cycle or what cycling a tank is. Ill post something about the nitrogen cycle and the basics on methods of cycling a tank. Decide how you want to cycle, either get some fish and do a fish in cycle or get some ammonium chloride and do a fishless cycle.

The nitrogen cycle is the natural processes that go on in your tank that convert ammonia into less harmful substances.

Ammonia gets into your tank through various pathways. Fish waste, decaying uneaten food, and dead, decaying plants are common ammonia sources in an aquarium. Its also possible your tap water is an ammonia source. Chloramine is a common water treatment and when treated with most water conditioners the bond in the chloramine breaks and releases ammonia into the water.

Ammonia can be toxic to fish, depending on how much there is, and what the pH and temperature of your tank water is.

The first stage of the nitrogen cycle is the removal of ammonia. If you have real plants in your tank some of this ammonia will be absorbed as part of their natural growth. Generally though ammonia is consumed by denitrifying bacteria that lives mostly on your filter media. These bacteria consume the ammonia and produce nitrite. Unfortunately nitrite is pretty much as toxic to fish as ammonia.

The second stage of the nitrogen cycle is the removal of nitrite. A different denitrifying bacteria will consume the nitrite and produce nitrate. Nitrate is much less harmful than ammonia and nitrite, and for most aquariums the nitrogen cycle ends there. Excess nitrate is removed through your regular water changes.

A further stage of the nitrogen cycle can also happen, but its difficult to remove all the nitrate from a typical freshwater aquarium. Plants will absorb some nitrate in a similar manner to how it absorbs ammonia to grow. There are also nitrifying bacteria that consumes nitrate and gives off nitrogen gas which will simply offgas from your aquarium. This nitrifying bacteria is difficult to grow in freshwater aquarium.

“Cycling” a tank is the process you go through to grow denitrifying bacteria in your aquarium to consume ammonia and nitrite. You are said to be “cycled” when you have enough bacteria to consume all the ammonia and nitrite that your tank produces and turns all of it into nitrate. If you test the water of a cycled tank you should see 0 ammonia and nitrite and some nitrate.

To cycle a tank you need to grow denitrifying bacteria to consume ammonia and nitrite that your tank produces. The bacteria needs an ammonia source to grow colonies sufficient in size to consume all the ammonia and resultant nitrite and turn it into nitrate which typically you remove through your regular water changes.

Two commonly used methods to cycle a tank are called a “fish in” cycle and a “fishless” cycle.

A fish in cycle uses fish waste as an ammonia source and regular water changes are undertaken to ensure that water parameters are maintained at relatively non toxic levels. This has been the go to method to cycle a tank for many years, and it commonly is the way new fish keepers cycle a tank when they have bought fish with no knowledge that a tank needs cycling and how to go about it.

Pros.
• You get to keep “some” fish pretty much on day 1 of setting up your tank.
• More consistently gets you through your cycle.
• Only real choice if you already have fish.
• If done simply, eg stock lightly, add fish slowly, you can fishless cycle safely without testing. Although testing your water while cycling is still a good idea.

Cons.
• Lots of water changes, especially if you are doing a fish in cycle with a fully stocked tank.
• Although you should be doing plenty of water changes to maintain relatively safe water, your fish will be living in waste which isn’t ideal.
• Can take a long time (several months) to go from an empty tank to fully stocked if done safely.

A fishless cycle uses an ammonia source to replicate the fish waste that a tank of fish would produce. This ammonia source can be pure ammonia, an aquarium specific ammonium chloride product like Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride, a cocktail shrimp or fish food.

Pros.
• You cycle the tank before adding fish, therefore they shouldn’t be exposed to their own waste.
• No need for regular water changes while your tank cycles.
• Can be quicker to go from an empty tank to fully stocked.

Cons.
• Needs patience, you will be looking at an empty tank for several weeks.
• More technical approach requiring dosing ammonia and will need to be done alongside regular testing.
• Less consistently successful than fish in cycles, especially with new fish keepers who don’t understand the process and expect it to run to a timetable.

Im genuinely interested in knowing what you expected to see in your water test.

If i understood your thought process here, it would help me explain to you that what you are seeing is what you would expect to see, and why you arent seeing what you thought you would.

Im genuinely interested in knowing what you expected to see in your water test.

If i understood your thought process here, it would help me explain to you that what you are seeing is what you would expect to see, and why you arent seeing what you thought you would.

I honestly expected the levels to be all over the place. I’ve always been bad at science so I’ve been asking a lot of questions on how to do things so I don’t mess up. No matter how much I read about the nitrogen cycle I feel like I only kind of grasp it. I thought when you first checked your levels they’d be like, crazy or something so I’m not sure.

I always thought people talked about how long cycling took because of the initial water levels, so I was like omg I got so lucky bc mine were at 0! So that was my thought process honestly. Idk why I thought I’d have high levels of everything in tap water which is supposed to be clean/purified.

I’ve been putting off even starting cycling for months, I bought the tank in like August of last year and have just felt too confused/nervous to start anything. No matter how much I read/watched I’m still like, how will I know if I’m doing this right? I apologize if I sound a bit, not stupid, but a nicer term for it lol.

I really appreciate your responses because it was super informative and I’m going to keep it in my back pocket to reread.

If there is anything you dont understand then ask.

The time taken to cycle is the due to the length of time it takes to grow sufficient bacteria to process out all the fishes waste.

When you have had a think about how you want to cycle the tank let us know.

But.... ahem ahem, tank since August, ahem, ahem, fish in cycle, ahem, ahem, something to look at, ahem, ahem.

If there is anything you dont understand then ask.

The time taken to cycle is the due to the length of time it takes to grow sufficient bacteria to process out all the fishes waste.

When you have had a think about how you want to cycle the tank let us know.

But.... ahem ahem, tank since August, ahem, ahem, fish in cycle, ahem, ahem, something to look at, ahem, ahem.

I started a fish less cycle yesterday since I got the chemicals and stuff I needed, I thought about doing a fish in cycle but everything I read is so split down the middle if people like it or not (what isn’t though.)

With fish in cycle Id just have to do water changes/water checks more frequently right? I haven't looked into that method too too much but I've seen those two things pop up

Thats pretty much it. We get a lot of people here with issues getting tanks cycled. By far more people have issues with fishless cycles than fish in and they are usually resolved by switching to fish in.

Personally i prefer fishless, but fish in cycles are certainly less problematic, and after 6 months of empty tank I would want to see something swimming around. If you dont mind waiting another couple of months and arent going to be put if it doesnt work as you are expecting though.

Thats pretty much it. We get a lot of people here with issues getting tanks cycled. By far more people have issues with fishless cycles than fish in and they are usually resolved by switching to fish in.

Personally i prefer fishless, but fish in cycles are certainly less problematic, and after 6 months of empty tank I would want to see something swimming around. If you dont mind waiting another couple of months and arent going to be put if it doesnt work as you are expecting though.

I may honestly end up trying that. I wouldn't mind putting in a bit more work keeping up with stuff, like water changes a few times a week and stuff. Especially where its my first tank, I know for future tanks I could use filters/things with the healthy bacteria to speed things up. I'll 100% have to look into it and see if I need any more supplies, I don't believe I do (besides a fish lol).

I'll have to look into some threads on here to make a game plan, with your response earlier it made things click a lot easier so I know I'm in the right place for answers! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply so thoroughly to me :)

Back
Top Bottom