Cycling Tank With Old Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codyl1121

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!!

I am gaining a few fish (Angel, 4 corys and a few Neons) from a person who didn't really take care of their tank. I do not have a tank up yet but have a 55 Gallon I am setting up on Saturday (today). If I use some of the old tanks gravel, filter and driftwood will I be able to put these fish in the day (or day after) the 55 gallon tank is setup? Only reason I ask is because I am not sure whether to keep these fish in a nasty tank or in a new tank that has never been cycled. I created a little plan and it goes something like this:

I am adding sand, water then prime to the new 55 gallon tank. While the filter is clearing the cloudiness of the sand and the heater is controlling temperatures in the tank, I will pick up his fish along with his filter, some wood and a little bit of gravel. I will test the waters and make sure everything is reading OK and if not I will do water changes accordingly. Add fish, old gravel and old wood. Then test daily to make sure nothing is spiking.

Am I risking it here. I think the fish may last in his tank for a few more weeks (since they have lasted a year already) but just trying to figure out what would be the best option. Thanks guys!

Before you do anything else, check if the old tank is cycled.
Test the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate before you do a water change.

Unless the old tank is super bad (e.g. high ammonia and nitrite) it's probably best to keep the fish in the old tank, doing water changes etc, until the new tank is completely cycled and ready. You can use some of the filter media from the old tank to speed this process.

Back
Top Bottom