cycling tank with used filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bthomas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just set up my 90 gallon and stuffed some used filter media from my 55 inside the canister. I know this jump starts cycling but just curious how long it will take(roughly) & if I need to do anything special to get it completely cycled? :)

If you do not have fish in the tank, you will need to provide the BB another source of ammonia for them to feed on. Look up Jettajockey in the planted tank forum. He has a real good link to info on cycling in his signature. OS.

I just checked out jeta's video.(he had some awesome drawings for it:))I understand the idea of cycling and the basics. Just not exactly sure how to cycle with my old media? I know people dose ammonia -Do I need to do it the same as if I had no seeded material to start with? :confused: any detailed help would be great as im FINALLY starting my 150 gallon in the next week too!

Not sure if it would help anyone in their answer but I bought a few plants and put them in the tank already...

I just checked out jeta's video.(he had some awesome drawings for it:))I understand the idea of cycling and the basics. Just not exactly sure how to cycle with my old media? I know people dose ammonia -Do I need to do it the same as if I had no seeded material to start with? :confused: any detailed help would be great as im FINALLY starting my 150 gallon in the next week too!

I would think it's just like a normal cycle, but shorter, so you need to dose ammonia if its a fishless cycle (Ace Hardware has what you need). Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom