Cycling time-frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jharvey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it weird to be two-weeks into fish-in cycling and getting 0s for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

I started with some filter media from an established tank. I haven't done any water changes because none of my tests have shown any readings. Fish are active and seem healthy and happy. I feed them a tiny pinch of flake food daily which they devour immediately.

Details:
10 gallon tank
3 zebra danios
5 plants (2 are swords)
78 degrees
pH 7.6
using API master test-kit
HOB filter

(Thanks - I posted about this a week ago but a week later I'm in the same place.)

If I had to guess, the media cycled the tank essentially instantly and the plants are eating your nitrate. Otherwise you'd have to have ammonia by now.

I would take some water to a lfs and have them test it to ensure your test kits are reading accurately. And of course make sure you shake all the reagent bottles really well.

Thank you both. I've been following the directions closely but I'll bring water tomorrow to my lfs just to be sure before I add more fish.

99% of the time when this happens its because the nitrate test is being done improperly. When the bottles or tube isnt shaken enough it will always give a 0ppm reading of nitrate.

My suggestionbis to reread the instructions and set up a timer for shaking the bottles.

I've re-read the instructions every time before testing because the results seem so weird and I've been using a timer. I certainly don't think I'm doing anything wrong but could be. Either way, I'll have them check at the lfs before moving forward.

LFS also tested no detectable levels of ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Yay! I was worried about a fish-in cycle but, with piece of filter from an established tank, my tank cycled without any measurable rise in toxins and the fish seemed happy and healthy throughout. Adding two mollies and a new plant today. Thanks for the advice, folks!

LFS also tested no detectable levels of ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Yay! I was worried about a fish-in cycle but, with piece of filter from an established tank, my tank cycled without any measurable rise in toxins and the fish seemed happy and healthy throughout. Adding two mollies and a new plant today. Thanks for the advice, folks!

Be careful about adding stuff too fast. Until you see nitrates you can't be sure you are cycled, and once you are cycled you are only cycled for your current stock. So you still have to add stock slowly and keep testing.

Back
Top Bottom